Passion To Serve

Today was not a good day. I didn't get any sleep last night. SE and DL know why and also there was gigantic thunder and lightning storm last night. I love thunderstorms but gosh that was scary. Luckily tonight I know I am going to sleep well. I found a fan, praise the Lord. Now I am cold and snuggling up in the covers. Life couldn't be better. Also today I was just burned out. I was already agitated by the lack of sleep and I took it out on everyone else. I was exhausted and bored, not a good combination. At the end of the day I felt bad and then something else hit me (metaphorically). I got so angry I grabbed my sneakers, went outside and started to jog. Luckily at the lake the hottest it gets is 75 degrees. (Another thing to be thankful for.) I would jog and then stop. Jog, the stop. Over and over again until I was exhausted and trudged back home and took a shower.
Of course thinking about one thing led to another and eventually it came down to what was I going to do after high school. The million dollar question. When I was laying on the bed I felt God say to me.
"You were never meant to live an ordinary life."
All I wanted to say to that was,

"Then can you tell me what the plan is? Because i'm coming up blank."

 I have always been amazed by missionaries. Especially ones that travel the world. I can't imagine having to give up so much to help other people. I don't mean that in a bad way, it must be so fulfilling. I was on Amazon a few weeks ago and I saw two books that really intrigued me.

Here's the premise...

God sees the poor as blessed. Rich and Reneé Stearns show us why. 

We often separate ourselves from people who are different from us, sometimes even intentionally. This book is a great reminder of all the things we share in common―hopes, dreams, heartaches―and most important of all, it reminds us that He walks among us. All of us. This book offers great perspective from our brothers and sisters around the world. 
Rich and Reneé Stearns have traveled the world visiting the most poverty-stricken habitations imaginable, and they’ve discovered an amazing and common occurrence among the people who live there: joy can be found no matter how dire your circumstances. He Walks Among Us is a 90-day devotional giving readers an up-close and personal view of Christ in the lives of mothers, fathers, and children who have so little, yet are so rich in His spirit and love. Christians who are interested in or committed to missionary outreach will encounter the transforming power and courage needed to make a difference in someone else’s life. 

and...


What would cause an eighteen-year-old senior class president and homecoming queen from Nashville, Tennessee, to disobey and disappoint her parents by forgoing college, break her little brother’s heart, lose all but a handful of her friends (because they think she has gone off the deep end), and break up with the love of her life, all so she could move to Uganda, where she knew only one person and didn’t even speak the language?

A passion to follow Jesus. 

Katie Davis left over Christmas break of her senior year for a short mission trip to Uganda and her life was turned completely inside out. She found herself so moved by the people of Uganda and the needs she saw that she knew her calling was to return and care for them. Katie, a charismatic and articulate young woman, is in the process of adopting thirteen children in Uganda and has established a ministry, Amazima, that feeds and sends hundreds more to school while teaching them the Word of Jesus Christ.

I cannot imagine what it was like to be Katie when she decided to adopt 13 girls. Yes she did that. I'm sure she got a lot of crazy looks. I cannot imagine what it would be like to tell your parents that your moving to Uganda and adopting children at 18. I read a little part of the book and in it Katie says something a long the lines of, "I had a perfect life and then Jesus wrecked it all."
That really touched me. How many of wish and do not wish for Jesus to do the same for us. I said in a post a while ago that I don't take my Christian duty seriously enough and it's spiritually damaging. I always use the excuse of "Someone else will do it." but at the same time that's not always the case and I'm sure that a lot of other Christians think the same thing. We live in this perfect little space of Church and church events etc. and everything that goes along with it and it's 'okay' for us. I understand that different people are called to do different things but it's just not okay for me anymore.

I also read Jesus Calling for the day.

"HOLD MY HAND, and walk joyously with Me through this day.  Together we will savor the pleasures and endure the difficulties it brings.  Be on the lookout for everything I have prepared for you: stunning scenery, bracing winds of adventures, cozy nooks for resting when you are weary, and much more.  I am Your Guide, as well as your constant Companion.  I know every step of the journey ahead of you, all the way to heaven. 

You don’t have to choose between staying close to Me and staying on course.  Since I am the Way, staying close to Me is staying on course.  As you focus your thoughts on Me, I will guide you carefully along today’s journey.  Don’t worry about what is around the next bend.  Just concentrate on enjoying My Presence and staying in step with Me."

Talk about a huge, gigantic God moment.

DFTBA
-AB



Comments

  1. You would be a great full-time missionary or something along those lines!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts