Shadow Boxes

     I am currently obsessed with shadow boxes. See, what happened was, SE made this absolutely adorable collage of me and her that I'm totally in love with because we look so cute and happy, so I decided to print it off and go buy a frame to hang it up on my wall. But then I got to Wal Mart and realized I'd forgotten to bring the picture along with me, so I didn't know the dimensions, so I was going to just try and guess, but then my Mom saw this adorable shadow box and then we found these cute wooden push pins, so I just had to buy them. Then I got home and started going through all the stuff my friends have given me over the years, and SE has given me so much amazing stuff that I was able to create an entire color scheme for the shadow box and it turned out sooo adorable. Here's a (crappy quality) picture of it:

I felt it was appropriate to make a little SE shrine because she has an entire cork-board in her room of pictures of me and little trinkety things I've given her, and I just have these boxes stuffed full of stuff from my friends, which I love looking through, but then people can't see all the awesome stuff people have given me displayed out in the open in my room. Now everyone can see the friendship bracelet SE made me, the beaded key-chain, the cute scrap-booking flowers, the lovely baggy of pictures from my favorite TV shows, another friendship bracelet, the first gift SE ever gave me which is a blue moon Christmas ornament, a little Hello Kitty charm from back in the good old days, and one of the many address stamps I've received on a letter from SE. The great thing about Shadow boxes is that if you start to get bored with the contents, you can change the entire thing, and create a whole new atmosphere, instead of just picking a new picture like any old boring picture frame. Plus, they're a great conversation starter. Like someone could come into my room and be like "Hey what's that crumbly blue thing dangling in your shadow box?" and then you can proceed to tell them that in kindergarten, SE made me that ornament, and it's lasted 12 years, but now it's too soft and mushy and is breaking apart so my Mom said I wasn't allowed to hang it from the tree anymore and she threw it away so I dug it out of the trash can and hung it from my own personal Christmas tree, but then I realized my Mom was kind of right so I wrapped it up in tissue paper and stuck it in a baggy and kept it in a box under my bed. And now it's part of my SE shrine. I just think shadow boxes are a great way to preserve memories, and I'm glad I didn't just buy a plain picture frame. There are also tons of adorable shadow boxes out there on pinterest and stuff, so here are some really cute ones I found.

The Periwinkle Pixies: The Shadow Box Tutorial (Only 4 steps!!) or use Xmas bells!!!
This would make an awesome Christmas present. 
Instructions for Dollar Tree shadowbox, thrift store candlestick, glued together and painted
!!!!! Okay so I've officially decided my whole house when
I grow up is going to be decorated with shadow boxes. 

Travel-themed shadow box for all of their loose tickets ($30). | 21 Things Every Traveler Wishes They Owned
I should totally do this with all my movie tickets!!!!
Put your child's favorite old toys in a shadow box when they've outgrown them and hang it on the wall.   Sweet!
This would be so cute in a kid's room.

After looking through a ton of these on Pinterest, I think I can fairly say my SE shadow box is comparable to the ones on the internet. It's so cute and I'm pretty proud of it. Go make yourself one! 


-VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts