25 Facts About Me (Totally Stealing AB's Idea)

     I also remember loving this the first time I did it, and as I'm sure that was probably a whole year ago, I know I've changed and that I don't remember what I wrote about the first time, so here goes.

1. I'm really, really, REALLY bad with directions. I have always thought that there's nothing I'm really AWFUL at. There are plenty of things I don't like, and therefore have never excelled at, but most things, if you tell me how to do it, I'll manage just fine, even if I'm not a connoisseur. But giving and taking directions is something I simply cannot grasp mentally. That and calculus.

2. I'm a home body. I really have very little desire to travel the world. Yes, I love road trips, but that's because I like looking at things from a car window and just driving for hours. When I go on a road trip, I don't care about the final destination, it's the ride that I love. There are a few places I'd like to see if I get the chance, but I would never want to live somewhere far away because I love my family and my town and just my little corner of the world too much to leave it for more than maybe fifteen days.
  
3. I'm a cat person. I honestly really don't like dogs that much at all. Puppies can be cute, and really old dogs that are tame and mild mannered are fine, but I could never love a dog the way I love cats. 

4. I love answering philosophical questions. I don't know why but I love debating moral issues and having deep conversations and discussing controversial things. It's just fun. I think that's part of why I love this blog because it gives me a chance to express those things that most people don't love to talk about.

5. I love photography, but especially pictures of people. Still life pictures and abstract photography and all those other things are nice to look at for like a half a second, but pictures of people have so much depth and meaning that I could stare at them for hours. Maybe it's because of my love for writing and creating characters and giving life to people through words that I really love photos of people because in a way I think they capture the same essence that I'm always trying to create through my words. 

6. I've never seen a horror movie. I don't really even know why, I mean I have no idea what my reaction would be, whether I'd think they were really dumb and unrealistic or if I'd be genuinely scared, but I really have little interest in finding out. 

7. When I grow up, I want to live in a red brick Victorian house with a wrap around porch and a tower. This dream was first inspired by the Anastasia books by Lois Lowery which I used to be obsessed with in elementary and middle school because the house that Anastasia and her family lived in was just the coolest thing on the planet and I decided that I wanted to live in a house just like it. Now though, I think the dream still holds true because there are so many gorgeous Victorian houses in the area where I live and all the neighboring towns that it would feel like home to me to get to live in one.

8. I'm a Republican. There's not really much to explain about this except that I have really conservative views about most aspects of life, and I like tradition and the good old days and good old ways of life. 

9. I am not a logical thinker. I can't usually reason my way out of situations, and I definitely tend to think with my heart or make decisions based on what my parents and my faith have instilled in me rather than on what science dictates. Of course this has its downsides because it means I'm really bad at math and science because I think it's all a bunch of bull crap. But for the most part being heart-oriented has been a good thing for me. 

10. I really enjoy painting walls and furniture and tinkering around with interior design. I love finding totally wacky and unique trinkets and furniture and decorative stuff at like, thrift shops and stuff that no one else has and making a space really unusual and totally different. My room is definitely proof of this. 

11. I'm bad at traditional "girly" things. I think being good at hair and makeup must be a hereditary trait because my mom and grandmas never wore makeup, so I don't wear makeup. Plus, none of them ever really fussed over their hair, and neither do I. I also think a lot of it has to do with who you hang out with. Very few of my close friends wear makeup on a regular basis, and if they do, it's never anything elaborate and time consuming. Plus, all my friends tend to opt for natural hair, or just doing something like straightening it and dying it every now and then. I think that for me personally, I would feel more self conscious if I tried to do my hair and makeup, plus I'm very lazy and just don't have the time to really devote to acquiring such skills. But I am really impressed with people who can do their hair and makeup really well. 

12. I actually really like orchestral music, and a bit of classical. I have a whole playlist on my YouTube account of orchestra songs and they're the absolute best to listen to while studying. They're so rhythmic and sonorous that it makes me feel vigorous and on task. I just love how vast and intricate orchestra and classical music can be at the same time. 

13. I love juice. I like water as much as the next homo sapien, and I enjoy a soft drink from time to time, but on the whole I think I could be content to drink nothing but various fruit juices for the rest of my life. They're so refreshing and delicious, I'm always a happy girl when we go grocery shopping and bring home tons of different juices. 

14. I love and hate gardens at the same time. I adore the way they look, particularly rambling overgrown cottage gardens and valleys of wild flowers and blooming hillsides, but I hate the concept of bending on your knees in the scorching sun to tediously yank out weeds that will just grow back within a day or so. It seems so needless to me.

15. I love he concept of crafting, but I'm honesty not that great at it. I have very little patience, and really high expectations, and those are two things that don't go well together. The one crafty type thing that I am actually pretty good at is scrapbooking. I guess because that's kind of hard to mess up and there are no instructions to follow, and you can stop in the middle of it and just finish later if you get bored. And if you don't like the way something turns out you can trash the page and start over again. It's a very low stress craft in my opinion. 

16. I might have been named Maria. My dad really liked that name, and my mom liked it too, but in the end it didn't make the cut because they decided on names from the map. 

17. I've never been on a plane or a train. I've been on the DC metro, so I guess that's technically a train, but mostly that's more like public transportation. Hopefully someday I'll get a chance to go somewhere on both, but if not, I can always do so vicariously through watching movies and reading books, haha. 

18. I love history, but I don't like history class. It amazes me how teachers can take a rich and expansive topic such as history and boil it down to the dullest facts and most boring events possible. I'd so much rather read books set in the olden days or watch documentaries on the history channel or go to museums and reenactments than sit in a classroom and read facts from a textbook. 

19. I used to know all the books of the Bible backwards. Now this isn't because I was such a pious little Sunday school student, or because I had really strict vigorous teachers in church. No, this unnecessary knowledge was the direct result of my brother pinning me to the floor of my moms Sunday school classroom when no one else was around and making me say all the books backwards before he'd let me go. This is a surprisingly effective technique. I had those books memorized backwards in no time. Nothing like fond sibling memories. 

20. I love graffiti. I think it's such a raw art form, and really shows you how talented people can be without any formal training at all.

21. One of my favorite sounds is the sound of someone talking in a completely silent room, especially when they're talking quietly and kind of in a monotone. That probably sounds absolutely ludicrous, but I just think it's really therapeutic  when someone with a really calm voice is talking and there's no other sound. Like I could seriously listen to like, George Clooney just read a phone book in a really silent room and I'd probably be totally happy for days. 

22. I don't enjoy driving. To me it's a chore and a waste of time because if I were in the passengers seat, I wouldn't have to pay attention to anything at all and I could read or write and just enjoy the ride. When I'm driving, I actually have to be present and be paying attention and I can't get lost in my own thoughts like I can when someone else is driving. The only joy I get from driving is singing along with the radio and occasionally having hypothetical rants out loud which is something you can't do when there are other people in the car. 

23. I don't like board games. I think thy take too long to play and require too much strategy and logic which takes all the fun out of it. That being said, I do like card games, and I quite enjoy trivia games and question games, like Apples to Apples or Scruples. 

24. I don't always sleep in my own bed. I know that probably sounds childish, but my dad works at night, so sometimes my mom suggests we have a "sleepover" in her bed, and we usually sit in my parents room and look at books or magazines together or just talk or play games and then I'll stay and sleep in her bed with her. Well, her bed is really comfy and I always seem to have more dreams when I sleep in my parents bedroom that our sleepovers usually turn in to me sleeping in my parents bed for like four or five days in a row. Plus, I have this really bad habit of putting stuff on my own bed and then never cleaning it off which makes my bed a slightly hazardous place to try to get some beauty sleep, so hitting the hay in my mom's room just seems easier. 

25. I don't like wearing shorts. I guess it's because I love fashion that it just seems to me that shorts are hard to dress up and make look good. Plus I just find jeans more comfortable and flattering, and if I don't feel like shaving my legs, it doesn't matter if I'm wearing pants. 


So there you have it. It's weird because I didn't read SE's response before I finished mine, but we mentioned some similar topics! (I just went and read hers). I guess great minds think alike. 

-VaughnDL 







Comments

Popular Posts