Old Fashioned

     Can we talk about something amazing? The movie trailer for Old Fasioned.
     Can we talk about something unbelievably stupid? Old Fashioned came out on the exact same day as Fifty Shades of Grey. Guess what movie isn't showing at my local theater? Old Fashioned. Because apparently people would rather watch abusive, weird, gross, trash on Valentine's Day than something romantic and decent!!! But enough Fifty Shades bashing. 
     The trailer for Old Fashioned makes it seem like it could be a kind of awkward movie, but I just liked the idea behind it: that romance doesn't have to be about the physical aspect. I mean, come on, contrary to Hollywood, most relationships start with an emotional and intellectual connection, not a physical one. Sure, most people are usually physically attracted to the people they date, but their relationship is usually based on their personalities. At least in lasting relationships it is.
I guess I'm just tired of watching movies with unrealistic views of romance, especially involving teens. As a member of the teenage population I can vouch for the fact some teens actually want a relationship built on mutual trust and respect and genuine love and care for one another. When I see a movie that is actually romantic and not spoiled by overt sexuality, I get excited because it's so rare and wonderful. And you know, if everyone thinks that romance should be like it is in Hollywood, then people are going to start being okay with not being treated with respect in real-life relationships, just as long as the other person thinks they're "hot". Of course, as someone who has never had a romantic relationship, maybe I'm not supposed to be judging other people's relationships. But I know enough to know what real love looks like and to know that the stuff I see in movies isn't real love.

The conversation between AB, DL, and me:

AB: I am pissed! I can't believe they wouldn't put that in our movie theatre!

Me: I know right? Did you watch the trailer?

DL: That does look really good! But of course, no one wants to watch a good wholesome movie that's actually about LOVE they'd rather watch some stupid movie about tasteless sex and sexual abuse. What is the world coming to?

Day 452 Song Recommendation: "Strawberry Swing" by Coldplay.
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts