Name Dropping

I am completely the type of person who judges a book by its cover. It's a terrible habit, I know, and it just shows how judgemental  I must be, but it's so easy to do. I'm the same way with people and names. If I hear about a person before I've met them, I make a complete generalization about them based on their names, mostly provided by the people I already know with those names. I know this is ridiculous, because it's not like you can help what your name is, and it's not like a persons name is reflective whatsoever of their personality. But I guess it's just like any stereotype. It doesn't make much sense, but sometimes they can be surprisingly true. 
     There are some interesting Buzzfeed videos about this very topic actually, where people say what they think about how people with certain names act. For example, the guys said that girls names Jessica are almost always party girls. 
     I'll try to remember to attach the videos to this post so you can see for yourself, but now I'm going to share some of my opinions of people's names. 
     I went on a random name generator website and generated 25 fairly common names, so you don't think I'm just picking my friends or family's names. These are totally random. 

Sarah- Sarahs with an "h" are definitely way nicer than Saras without an "h". They're usually kind of shy and always really nice.

Brian- Brians are usually funny and fun to be around, but more like just a family friend or coworker than like a best friend or boyfriend

Douglas-Dougs are always geeky. No offense to Dougs but your all so smart it confuses us normal people

David-Okay David can go either way: either he's the sweetest most perfect guy in the world and you'd trust him with your life and go to him with any problem, or he's a huge snobby douche bag who's too rich for his own good. That's why you've gotta watch out for Davids 

Steve- Steve is a goofy guy who likes computers

Matthew- Matthew is really attractive, but kind of standoffish and hard to get to know

Jeffrey- Jeffrey is tall and he is a jerk

Philip- Philips are the nerdy boys that you don't pay attention to at first but ten realize they're actually really funny and nice and kind of cute 

Gary-Gary's are always nice. I've never met a mean person named Gary. 

Wayne- Waynes are lanky and just very average. 

Joshua- Joshuas are tall and fit, probably on the swim team, with brown military style hair. They're very charming and popular. 

Angela- Angela is a hard working mom who just has a high school diploma and probably works at a diner or is a housekeeper and is just trying her best to raise her two kids

Christina- Christinas are very very friendly and bubbly and talkative and love colorful things

Rebecca- Rebeccas are either really irritating or really smart. I know a few of each. 

Benjamin- Benjamins are smart and sophisticated, but Bens are class clowns who really need to grow up. They are jerks to girls and disrespectful to adults

Katelynn- Katelynns, no matter how you spell it, are very sweet. I only say this because there are so many people named Katelynn in the world that it is impossible to categorize them. I have a best friend named Kaitlyn and she's really pretty and smart and sweet, so I like to assume that all Katelynns are like this.

Charlotte- I don't think I know any Charlottes personally, but all the ones in books and movies are always kind of overbearing and too practical, always thinking about what would be to their best advantage. 

Anthony- Anthonys are really sweet guys, they're like big teddy bears, especially if they go by Tony. Either that or they're mafia lords 

Lee- Lees are incredibly well bred, usually really rich with loud rich people laughs. They're usually blonde and tall and wear grey suits

Derrick- Derricks live on a ranch and participate in rodeos and always have on muddy boots.

Melissa- Melissas wear a lot of make up, but they look good. They're usually blonde and very soft spoken and petite

Vicki- Vickis are loud and laugh a lot but they're fun to be around. 

Vivian- Vivians are always snooty. They're hoity toity and look down their noses at people. They have chin length blonde hair and drink champagne 

Theresa- Theresas have no filter and say what they want when they want to. They're the kind of people you like to have around because they tell it like it is. 

Mary- Marys are usually modest and demure. Usually. There is the occasional Mary that's so annoying you can hardly bear it. 


I sure hope the people I know with these names aren't reading this because some of my generalizations are really mean. Sorry people. These are just my unfounded unwarranted opinions about names haha with no basis in fact.
     Hope you enjoyed, and make sure to go check out the buzzfeed videos!!

        -VaughnDL






Comments

Popular Posts