My Thoughts On Fifty Shades Of Grey

This is going to be my only post about this movie...I think.
If you know me you probably know that I don't like this book or this movie. This is me just giving my thoughts. Take it or leave it. I want to talk about a topic that I think needs to be discussed more. This is probably going to be disorganized because I do have a lot to say.
As a reader I am always looking for new books to read. A few years ago my aunt could not shut up about this book and I had no idea what it was about so I decided to give it a try. Yes I hated it, to the point where I couldn't finish it. I would forever tell people not to read it. I hoped that it would never become a movie. Thanks Hollywood..
We live in a world today that glorifies sex. You can't get away from the sensual adds and billboards that promote a variety of different products. From beer to perfume. We as people, especially 'young' people are bombarded with what is socially acceptable. We see have naked models with airbrushed bodies and they pretty much all have the secret message that we should somehow look like them. We should be adults when really we're just kids. We are told that in most movies, TV shows, magazines etc. that sex=love.
Really?
Yet we ask why so many girls get pregnant? Yes the pregnancy rate is going down but this really shouldn't be a surprise because most teenagers knows what a condom and birth control is?
I am not writing this to tell anybody when they should or shouldn't have sex. That is a personal choice but i'm sure that there are many people pressured to have sex before they want to or ready.
Teenagers are going to see this movie and read this book and is that really a good thing?
When I first found out about Fifty Shades Of Grey becoming popular I got mad. I didn't understand what girls saw in Christian Grey or in the book itself. I think what I would ask those people is
"If Christian Grey was a real guy would you date him yourself?"
Seriously, Let's say you met each other somewhere and he was seriously into you would you go out with him knowing the type of person that he is? Sure he can buy you expensive things, he's good looking but can he actually love you and respect you and your heart? A man is a person who is concerned with the woman's feelings, future, goals etc. A boy only thinks about how quickly he can get in a girl's pants.
 Throughout the book Christian is often portrayed as abusive boyfriend. Quotes are overlooked in the story because of being distracted by erotic sex scenes.
Here's an example.
                                 "No," I protest, trying to kick him off.
                                                         He stops.
"If you struggle i'll tie your feet too. if you make a noise, Anastasia, I'll gag you."  
It amazes me that this is so easily over looked. We keep talking about domestic abuse and how wrong it is but yet girls will buy this book and see this movie. They will watch movies like Magic Mike.  As women we want respect but yet we are not willing to even respect our own bodies or our values. So many girls will do whatever it takes to keep the guy they 'love,'
I think in someways I have become bitter toward's romantic love. There was a time when I thought that there was no way that a guy could ever respect me the way that I deserved. I thought that my parents were lucky. That people who stayed together forever were just lucky. Not even considering the fact that God has everything planned. I looked at the ads, saw the movies and listened to the music. I saw movies where a person cheated on their husband, wife, boyfriend or girlfriend but somehow it all worked out in the end. It's funny how in the Notebook we never find out what happens to Allie's fiance. We just hear about how her and Noah lived happily ever after. I heard songs about guys who didn't want to win a girls heart, they just wanted to get into a girls pants and about girls who just wanted to have a one night stand with a guy.
We can't let teenagers think that the love of their life is out there waiting for them and that love is easy. Love is work, it takes time and commitment and most likely the first guy or girl you date isn't going to be the one you marry.
As a society that is so sensitive to relationship abuse and female empowerment why are we promoting this movie?

Here are some links to some posts that I really enjoyed and agreed with.

50 Shades Of Cultural Confusion

Christian Women And Christian Grey

DFTBA
-AB
\







Comments

  1. This post was the bomb AB, I completely agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts