Nightcrawler (Or, as I like to call it, Nightcreeper)

I thought Jake Gyllenhaal was an
attractive person until this movie.
     If you ever watch the movie Nightcrawler, I would just like to warn you that it will be the creepiest movie you ever watch. Jake Gyllenhaal usually plays a good guy in films but in Nightcrawler, he is positively the creepiest, most psychopathic person ever. I can't even explain how much I loathed his character, Lou Bloom. And yet I was still weirdly interested in the movie. It creeped the heck out of me and yet, it was a good movie in some ways, because the characters were so believable. More than anything, this movie made me realize what utter trash the news is. They just show you the things that make the most money, and they'll twist the story any way they can to make you keep watching. It makes me sick and it also makes me happy that I don't watch the news. I don't see how anyone can watch the news and not be a paranoid person with no faith in humanity. On IMDb I found a quote that the director, Dan Gilroy, said about the movie: "I would hope that maybe a viewer would take it further and maybe go, 'Why do I watch these images and how many of these images do I want to put into my own spirit?'" Well, he definitely succeeded in that. And my answer is: None. I don't want any of those images going into my spirit. I mean, seriously, I don't think anyone needs help in feeling down and thinking the world is an awful place. We need help restoring our faith that the world is a good place and that there are more things to be happy about than sad about.
     The whole time, you know that Lou Bloom is a terrible person. He is a creep and a psychopath and a sicko. But what he does at the end of the movie is just... it's worse than murder. It's just completely awful. Lou Bloom did not have a soul. Okay, maybe he did. But it was teeny teeny tiny. 
     Anyway, I guess I would recommend this film. I don't even know. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone who is squeamish or enjoys watching the news. It would probably just freak you out. I would not recommend it to anyone who wants a feel-good movie. Honestly, this movie is pretty sick and I would not watch it again. But at the same time it was worth watching. How? This movie just confused me. I can't explain it. Watch it if you want, I guess. I mean, it was entertaining, in the worst way possible.

Day 463 Song Recommendation: "Bad Blood" by Bastille.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts