October 2014 Wrap Up

The Maze Runner, James Dashner  5/5

Luckily I had one free day and I was able to finish this book. After all the bad things that people were saying about this book I didn't know if I wanted to read it but since they made a movie out of it I definitely wanted to read it before I saw the movie. I actually really enjoyed this book despite what people are say about it. Something happened on every page and the end made me want to read the next book.
P.S. The movie was very good.


Holy Is The Day, Carolyn Weber 5/5

I love Carolyn's writing I really wish that she had more published books because I swear I would read them all. It's amazing to me how honest she is with the struggles in her life. Especially sharing her faith while working in the being a college professor trying to get tenure. It wasn't an easy task.










The Scorch Trials, James Dashner ?/5

I feel like there will be one book every month that I just can't finish. It's not that this book isn't a good book I just can't get through it. It has a slower pace than the Maze Runner and once again this is a book that I have to put down.










The Death Of A Salesman, Arthur Miller 5/5

I can't believe that I actually liked this book. I didn't really like any of the books that I read in school last year and it's so weird to like the books that we are reading in class. This book is sad but when we were reading it in class I just felt so immersed in the story. Yesterday we were reading it and when we stopped I just wanted to scream no because it was getting so intense. Luckily I stole the book for a weekend and I finished it. One thing that really got me about this book was the characters. I felt like I related to each character on some level. This book embodies 'The American Dream' and what that truly is. Does success and wealth bring happiness? What lengths do we go to, to make a dream happen?

The Iron Trials, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black 5/5

I am a fan of Cassandra Clare and I was lucky enough to get my hands on a signed copy of this book at Books-A-Million. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was. I hate to compare this book to Harry Potter because that is such a typical thing to say about a middle grade series. I do believe that this book has Harry Potter potential. I really loved it since the beginning. It kept my attention and everything was well written. The great thing about it was that this book wasn't to long. Since there were two authors writing this book you think that it would be longer. Also it didn't feel like two people were writing this book. I can't wait to continue on with this story.
Leaving Time, Jodi Picoult 5/5

Jodi Picoult has once again amazed me. This book just had a whirlwind of emotions. I didn't think that I was going to like this book as much as I did because it didn't involve a moral dilemma like the most of Jodi's books. I am not a big fan of psychics and 'ghosts' which has a lot to do with this book. Like any other Jodi Picoult book it involves a huge plot twist that I never see coming. I wish that I could figure it out with at least one of her books. At the end of this book I wanted to cry but I was in public when I wanted to cry and people would think that I was crazy and even if I did tell them why I was crying and then they would say 'it's just a book.' Then I would want to hit them because it's never just a book. So I waited till I got home to cry. Needless to say Jodi's book are very powerful and thoughtful. Every time I finish one of her books I have to reevaluate  my entire life and every decision I have ever made. Plus the story is just so freaking good and you desperately want Jenna to find her Mom with every fiber in your being. It also wanted to make me go call my Mom.


Black Ice, Becca Fitzpatrick 4/5
This book was  an interesting read. It was perfect for the creepy month of October. To be honest the main character was not my favorite. She seemed like the typical stupid teenage girl. This book has an interesting premise but sometimes doesn't deliver. I love Becca Fitzpatrick but I expected more. The ending didn't match the story. If that makes sense. Sometimes it felt like the story was flipping from a chick flick to a horror movie. Those two don't really go together.








All in all this month was a pretty good reading month. I got a lot more reading done than I thought that I would. I think i'm transitioning into the school/reading schedule well.

DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts