Gratias Ago

     Gratias Ago means "I give thanks" in Latin, so it's the phrase we wrote in the center of our Latin hand turkeys on the last day before break. Then, in each of the fingers, we wrote what we were thankful for in Latin. So here's what I said:

Amicitiae: friendship
      I am so grateful for all the friends I've acquired over the years. I still have friends from kindergarten and first grade, which I can barely wrap my head around, but I also have friends that I just became close to in the past year or so, and that's totally unbelievable too! The thought that so many people appreciate me and put up with my weirdness and have things in common with me and want to spend time with me is surreal, and I'm so thankful for that!

Sapientiae: wisdom/peace
     Yeah, this one was kind of hokey, but I chose it mostly because it's the same declension as amicitiae, so I didn't have to change the ending, haha. But honestly, I am grateful for wisdom and peace. It's because of people with wisdom that this crazy world hasn't gone to complete crap. And though I know we're nowhere near achieving world peace, the peace that we do have-- from loving charities and organizations, and from amazing families and friends-- is priceless and beautiful.
   
Fratri: brother
     After I wrote this one down, I felt kind of bad for not putting Familiae, which would encompass my whole family, but I was just thinking about how my bro was coming home for the break, and I was happy about that. I'm so thankful that I have the brother I do. He's kind of stupid sometimes, and spends way too much time with his girlfriend when he should be spending it with ME HIS ONLY SISTER IN THE WHOLE WORLD but at the end of the day, I know that he and I have a closeness and a friendship that few brothers and sisters in the world have. Of course, I am grateful for the rest of my family, but especially for my brother at the current time, since I don't get to see him that much anymore.

Litteris: literature/letters
     As a book lover, I am incredibly grateful for literature, and the fact that it's socially acceptable for me to have two giant bookshelves shoved full to the point of explosion of books in my bedroom. I'm also so grateful for the letters that me and SE write back and forth, because they've gotten me through all these crazy years of school and life.

     There are so many other things I could say that I give thanks for, but those are just the ones I wrote down in Latin class. I hope you all have things you're grateful for too! Happy Thanksgiving, and make sure to eat lots of food and get really fat. :)

                      -VaughnDL


Comments

Popular Posts