5 Christian Book I Want To Read

I think people are judging me less now that it's November I think that it's becoming more acceptable to celebrate Christmas. Yesterday was a pretty busy day. I cleaned up the house and took my two cousins and my grandparents to a movie and then of course we had to go to Chick-Fil-A. I have been on Pinterest all morning looking at Christmas stuff.
With Christmas coming the number one thing that I ask for is books. Seriously that's all I want. Of course that's not all I get but it's the majority. I wanted to read more Christian books this year and I have been doing better. After I read Jeff Bethke's book he had suggested a lot of books in his own book. I went on Amazon and looked up some books I would like to read.

 1. The Best Yes, Lysa Terkeust  

When I read the first two pages of this book I knew that it was a book that I wanted to read. It talks about how this woman was with her daughter in a drive thru and she couldn't make up her mind of what she wanted to eat. The mother was panicking because they were holding up a big line. I don't know why but that really touched me. I have been open with talking about my social anxiety and sometimes I think I talk about it to much. This book seems like the book for me.
Are you living with the stress of an overwhelmed schedule and aching with the sadness of an underwhelmed soul?
Lysa TerKeurst is learning that there is a big difference between saying yes to everyone and saying yes to God. In "The Best Yes "she will help you: Cure the disease to please with a biblical understanding of the command to love. Escape the guilt of disappointing others by learning the secret of the small no. Overcome the agony of hard choices by embracing a wisdom based decision-making process. Rise above the rush of endless demands and discover your best yes today. 


2. Jesus Feminist, Sarah Bessey 

I think that SE, DL and I have made it clear that we are feminist. When I saw this book I was immediately intrigued.
Gender roles have been debated for centuries, and now Sarah Bessey offers a clarion freedom call for all who want to realize their giftedness and potential in the kingdom of God. Through a thoughtful review of biblical teaching and church practices, Bessey shares how following Jesus made a feminist out of her.






3. Tables In The Wilderness, Preston Yancey 

I wish that I had heard of this book years ago. Jeff had recommended this book and it sounds wonderful right now. We always hear the stories about how people never knew God and then found him and they lived happily ever after. This is a story about a man who knew and loved God but then 'lost' him.
In Tables in the Wilderness, Preston Yancey arrived at Baylor University in the autumn of 2008 with his life figured out: he was Southern Baptist, conservative, had a beautiful girlfriend he would soon propose to, had spent the summer living in southeast Asia as a missionary, and planned to study political science. Then God slowly allowed Preston’s secure world to fall apart until every piece of what he thought was true was lost: his church, his life of study, his political leanings, his girlfriend, his best friend . . . and his God. It was the loss of God in the midst of all the godly things that changed Preston forever. One day he felt he heard God say, “It’s going to be about trust with you,” and then God was silent---and he still hasn’t spoken. At least, not in the ways Preston used to think were the only ways God spoke. No pillars of fire, no clouds, just a bit of whisper in wind. Now, Preston is a patchwork of Anglican spirituality and Baptist sensibility, with a mother who has been in chronic neurological pain for thirteen years and father still devoted to Southern Baptist ministry who reads saints’ lives on the side. 
He now shares his story of coming to terms with a God who is bigger than the one he thought he was worshiping---the God of a common faith, the God who makes tables in the wilderness, the God who is found in cathedrals and in forests and in the Eucharist, the God who speaks in fire and in wind, the God who is bigger than narrow understandings of his will, his desire, his plan---the God who is so big, that everything must be his

4. Interrupted, Jen Hatmaker 


We all know that Jenn Hatmaker created 7 and I am really excited to get to read this book.
"Interrupted" follows the author's messy journey through life and church and into living on mission. Snatching Jen from the grip of her consumer life, God began asking her questions like, "What is really the point of My Church? What have I really asked of you?" She was far too busy doing church than being church, even as a pastor's wife, an author of five Christian books, and a committed believer for 26 years. She discovered she had missed the point.Christ brought Jen and her family to a place of living on mission by asking them tough questions, leading them through Scripture, and walking together with them on the path. "Interrupted" invites readers to take a similar journey.




5. Love Does, Bob Goff

As a college student he spent 16 days in the Pacific Ocean with five guys and a crate of canned meat. As a father he took his kids on a world tour to eat ice cream with heads of state. He made friends in Uganda, and they liked him so much he became the Ugandan consul. He pursued his wife for three years before she agreed to date him. His grades weren't good enough to get into law school, so he sat on a bench outside the Dean's office for seven days until they finally let him enroll.

Bob Goff has become something of a legend, and his friends consider him the world's best-kept secret. Those same friends have long insisted he write a book. What follows are paradigm shifts, musings, and stories from one of the world's most delightfully engaging and winsome people. What fuels his impact? Love. But it's not the kind of love that stops at thoughts and feelings. Bob's love takes action. Bob believes "Love Does."

When "Love Does," life gets interesting. Each day turns into a hilarious, whimsical, meaningful chance that makes faith simple and real. Each chapter is a story that forms a book, a life. And this is one life you don't want to miss.


Light and fun, unique and profound, the lessons drawn from Bob's life and attitude just might inspire you to be secretly incredible, too.

DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts