More Good Things About Unified Sports

     So my brother is home for the weekend and it's the first time I've seen him since he left in August and literally we've talked for the last three hours straight since he got home. I seriously have not carried on a conversation or listened to a conversation with my brother for that long in like, ever. I have homework I could be getting a jump start on, but homework can wait. Family is more important.      Go ahead and frame that, put it in your kitchen.
     You know what's annoying? Cat hair. Honestly. It gets on everything. And it doesn't just brush off.
     So our next tennis match is on Monday and it's a home match. Hopefully we'll win this time, but even if we don't, I know I'll still have fun. I seriously love Unified Tennis. Today was not the best day because I'm pretty sure I did badly on my English and math tests, and I turned in my World History assignment late, so I don't know whether I'll get points off or not, and I was really not feeling peppy at the pep rally, and then I got to tennis practice, and all of a sudden all of that went Whisk Whisk into the background. I'm seriously considering playing Unified Bocce or Unified Track. You may think that Unified sports are "below" regular sports, but if you do say that, you probably haven't played a Unified sport before. In my opinion, there is more camaraderie and team spirit and just-have-fun attitude with Unified sports that with "regular" sports, and I really appreciate that. I never liked "regular" sports and I thought it was just because I wasn't that good at them, but now I've realized it's because I always felt pressured to win, and be better and faster and stronger, and I always felt like I was letting the team down if I failed at something. But with Unified sports, there's none of that pressure, and there's none of that We HAVE to Win! attitude. And it's refreshing for someone to agree with me that winning is not everything. Yes, it feels good, but what feels better than winning is being with your team and having fun and trying your best. Which sounds super corny and elementary-ish, but I don't care. Maybe I like elementary school sports better than high school ones. Actually that's not true. People instill the need to win at a young age. But anyway, if you're like me and you're not overly competitive and you've never really liked team sports, you should try a Unified sport.

Day 308 Song Recommendation: "Mess Is Mine" by Vance Joy. I had the hardest time trying to pick the first song to recommend from Vance Joy's new album. All of the songs are so good. I'll probably recommend every one at some point. In a lot of ways, this song reminds me of DL's newest novel, which would be classified as a "Cancer Story", but it's more than just a cancer story. It ties together the lives of very different
people living with the same illness and focuses on the true side of cancer, the side that messes everything up, not the Brave Warrior side. The lyrics "This mess was yours/Now your mess is mine" reminds me of the truth that DL's book conveys: Cancer is messy and nasty and as hard as a person can try to minimize the scope and effect of their illness, they are always going to mess up the people they love most, and the truth is that those people don't mind being messed up.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts