Don't Be A Debby Downer

     You know what I noticed? It's like when something negative happens in my life, I really obsess over it, and think about it way more than I actually need to. But when something positive happens in my life, I act like it's no big deal. For instance, the fact that I got a 76% on my Gov exam has been on my mind way more than the fact that I got a 91% on my Calculus test, even though Calculus is my worst subject and I'd been really worried about the math test! And how I get frustrated and discouraged when I miss a serve or a return during the Unified Tennis matches, but when I actually get the serve over the net, I don't even act like I'm happy about it. I wonder why this is. Why lows get us low, but highs only get us off the ground for like, half a second? I don't know.
     What I do know is that I'm going to start trying to focus more on the good things that happen to me than the bad. Because no one likes a Debby Downer or someone who's mopey and sad all the time. And I want to be able to live life to the fullest, and part of that is letting yourself be happy.
     And at the end of the day, I don't really think my Gov test or my Math test matters all that much. Ten years from now I won't remember either test, or probably half of what I learned in the class (I'm sorry, but it's the truth) but I will remember things like Uprise Fest, and Unified Tennis, and this blog, and things that made me truly happy. And I think those things are so much more important than stressing about grades or whatever.
     Still, it's easier said than done when it comes to not focusing on things you struggle with and worry about. But all we can do is try our best.

                                    -VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts