Ice Bucket Challenge!

     As I'm sure you know, unless you've been socially asleep for the past month or so, the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has been a HUGE deal lately. I've seen my fair share of pixelated videos of people dumping freezing water and ice on themselves, along with the more nationally intriguing videos made by celebrities and the like. But I have to say, Waist High View (who is one of my favorite YouTubers and should be one of your favorites too!) had one of the best ALS Ice Bucket Challenge videos I've seen so far. Not only did he hilariously psyche himself up for the chilly challenge, but he ACTUALLY TALKED ABOUT ALS and about how important it is to actually be aware of the things that you're being supposedly "charitable" about. I agree completely with him that people who are "getting annoyed" with the ALS hype need to listen to what they're saying: they're getting tired of promoting awareness of this important issue?? That's kind of... inhuman?
     That being said, if you don't know what ALS really is, which I didn't really either until now, ALS (or Lou Gherig's Disease...or Motor Neuron Disease) is a condition that affects nerve cells in the spinal cord and brain. The breakdown of neurons makes an infected person unable to control brain function and muscle movement, and therefore leaves its victims paralyzed in many cases. It's really important to create awareness of ALS and other conditions like ALS in order to provide funding for scientific research so that someday a cure can be found. So, if you haven't been nominated already, I nominate all of you to do the Ice Bucket Challenge and spread the word on ALS! Here's Esben's adorable attempt.


                                -VaughnDL 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts