Yes Augustus Is Pretentious...Get Over It

Today is another day where I am sick. I had a massive bloody nose this morning and I just didn't feel like worrying about it all day. Honestly there is nothing better than chilling out on your couch listening to the rain outside reading a good book.
So yesterday I wanted to do a post about this but like I said I was procrastinating and busy. Those two do not go very well together. My friend Elizabeth showed me something that made want to scream. If you haven't already figured this out I like The Fault In Our Stars... I think I have made that clear. Anyway this girl kept dissing The Fault In Our Stars. Finally someone stood up to her and asked her why she didn't like it. To sum up the two paragraphs that she did write she basically said it was because Augustus was pretentious. The thing about popular characters is that we have this thought that they are perfect even if we truly know that they are not. Yes Augustus is pretenious, it's something called a 'flaw'. We all have them, we are not perfect. Does John Green know that Augustus was pretentious yes because Issac even says it in the book.
“Augustus Waters talked so much that he’d interrupt you at his own funeral. And he was pretentious: Sweet Jesus Christ, that kid never took a piss without pondering the abundant metaphorical resonances of human waste production.”
I don't even understand why we are fighting about this. Fans were even criticizing it after the metaphor scene came out.  Augustus is yes in remission but at the same time cancer comes back and who doesn't want to be remembered? Also he wants to impress Hazel, which he does. He just wants to connect to her. Kind of like her being a 'grenade'. Also another thing that pisses me off is that people criticize the book in general just because it's 'sad.' I am not even joking I have seen that before. This is a book about cancer, cancer is not a happy topic. John Green has given us a story about what having cancer is truly like and being a teenager at the same time. If all you can take out of this book is that it's sad than you have missed it.
Okay, i'm done ranting for the day. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

  1. Well said my friend, well said. :) Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts