That's Just My Style

     After being part of the blog since November, I think I can speak for all three of us (AB, SE, and me) when I say that sometimes the brain juices just don't flow. I mean, it takes a lot of brainpower and inspiration to write a decent blog post nearly every day for almost five straight months! I don't know how people keep blogs going for years on end (although it would be totally amazing if that could happen for us, but who knows). Anyway, the point of what I'm saying is that I run out of things to write a lot, no matter how inspired I might be feeling, or however many topics there may be out there in the world to write about. So, when that happens, I search high and low for something to talk about. Today I was talking to MF and I asked her if she had any suggestions for the blog, like what I should write about, and first she told me that I should write a post all about her (which would be quite hilarious and enjoyable because we have so many embarrassing and funny memories together, i.e., Glockenspiel Boy) but she then suggested another topic I could talk about, and that is my love of fashion, so I'll give it a try.

My Love of Fashion
     When I say that I love fashion, I don't mean that I love Alexa Chung, or Vera Wang, or Marc Jacobs, even though they are all very talented. What I love is finding clothes and accessories that are completely unique and unusual, and incorporating them into an outfit in a way that's cool and different. I mean, anyone can look at a magazine and get an idea of what is supposedly considered "High Fashion" but I don't really think there's much virtue in copying what's popular or in style, especially if you don't even really like what you're wearing, and are just wearing it because you saw something similar on the cover of Vogue or InStyle. I definitely have an appreciation for what is in style, but I also think it's really important to do what YOU want when it comes to clothes.

My Style Inspiration
     If asked to describe my style, I really don't know what I would say. I like to think that my style is not really something that can be described in a few words. It's constantly evolving and changing. I can however say that I tend to lean towards outdated and vintage looks. Some eras I draw a lot of style inspiration from are the fifties, sixties, seventies, and eighties. In the fifties, you have some really classic and iconic style fixtures like very feminine dresses and saddle shoes, and trench coats. In the sixties and seventies, the style was starting to become very loose and eccentric, introducing things like new wave and geometric patterns, which I've always been fascinated with. Of course you also have your hippie fashion from the sixties, and I've always absolutely loved the whole hippie era in general, so I try and draw from their style somewhat. I like to kind of think of the eighties as the era where "tacky" was totally in style, which I think is really cool and interesting. Now I've never really been a huge fan of eighties hair and makeup, but there are some really cool 80s clothes out there, like legwarmers, and tassel jackets, and denim on denim, which can translate really well with other styles.

My Fashion Staple
     I know in magazines, they often ask a celebrity or style icon what their fashion staple is, and for me, my fashion staple is really broad, but I'd say that what I really use as my Style Stamp (if that's what you can call it) is just jewelry in general. I always try to find jewelry that absolutely no one else will be wearing. My jewelry dresser is full to overflowing with homemade jewelry, jewelry from thrift stores, yard sales, flea markets, lots of really cool vintage and outdated pieces and just lots of unusual things that you wouldn't see everyday.

I'm A Fashion Cheapskate
     I'm a cheapskate when it comes to anything and everything, and clothes and jewelry are no exception. I think part of what is fun about fashion is the challenge of trying to find cool things without spending too much money. I am Goodwill's best friend; I would live there if they'd let me. I just really see no point in spending a lot of money on something that you'll wear a few times and then inevitably get tired of or get stained or hole-y. It makes a lot more sense to me to have a dispensable wardrobe. Also, when I'm ready to "retire" (AKA get rid of) a piece of clothing, I always take it to the secondhand clothing shop that my Mom works at. It just makes a lot more sense to give someone else a chance to wear your old clothes than to just throw them away.

My Style Icons
     I don't know if I necessarily have any style icons, but as the movie blogger, I've seen tons of movies, and tons of awesome costuming in films. Here are some of my favorite styles from movies:

    
Sloane Peterson from Ferris Bueller's Day Off had some seriously cool clothes that I would
totally wear. I absolutely love that fringe jacket.


Becky from What's Eating Gilbert Grape was always wearing wacky weird
stuff, and she really rocked the boyish haircut. I've always been fascinated
with this character's fashion sense.

 
How could you NOT say Cher Horowitz from Clueless? The outfit she's wearing in this picture is seriously one of my
favorite outfits in the whole world, and someday, I swear, I'm going to replicate it.

 

Okay, so obviously The Painted Veil is a period film, so of course the
clothes are going to be set to the time the movie takes place, but
that doesn't take away from the fact that the clothes Kitty wears
in this movie are absolutely gorgeous. And her hair is so lovely. I
so wish I could pull off that haircut. Urg, I just love the style from
the 20s and 30s. Probably should have mentioned that above, oh well.


 
Okay, well that's all for now. Perhaps I'll talk more about my style some other day, this fashion blogging was kind of fun.
Movie Recommendation: Clueless. I honestly cannot believe that I haven't already suggested this movie, but seriously, I love this film soooo much. By now you know that I'm a total Austenite, and love any and all adaptations of her work. Clueless is a modern twist on Austen's Emma, and it is just so perfect in every way. If you haven't already seen this nineties classic, you must see it now. And take note of Cher's lovely fashion sense, because I totally adore it. (As you saw above).

                                           -VaughnDL



Comments

  1. I loved his! You should definitely do more fashion blogging. I love Kitty's outfits too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts