Rainy Day Time Wasters

     Urg, it's these really sloppy, rainy grey days that make me want to just stay inside huddled in a blanket writing angst-y stories in my bedroom and never come out again. But alas, I have to come out and do homework, and chores, and go to school. Sigh, life goes on, despite my crappy, hermit-crab moods.
     Well, since I don't have much to say, I'm going to make a list of my favorite websites to waste time on on dreary days. So here goes!

1. Tumblr

Unless you seriously have no other commitments in life, do NOT get a tumblr. I mean, I totally love it-- it's super entertaining and actually pretty educational-- but it is an ABSOLUTE WASTE OF TIME. And once you get a tumblr, you will never be able to get rid of it no matter how much you hate the fact that it's taking over your life because it's just SO addicting! That's why I'm so glad that I have little to no knowledge about how to use it. I know how to access like, .05% of stuff on tumblr, which is definitely for the best. Something I really don't like is the fact that in order to personalize your own tumblr blog, you have to know how to use html stuff, which I do not at all, except to embed gifs and videos. Also, you can't email tumblr posts to people, which makes me sad. :(

2. Buzzfeed.


I'm way less obsessed with Buzzfeed than I used to be, which I'm seriously grateful for. I'm telling you, I'd spend hours on this one stinking website! Now it's kind of getting on my nerves because it's got a lot of irritating political hooha and some really inappropriate things. I mostly just enjoy the quizzes now. I mean, who wouldn't want to know what haircut you should really have? (Long bob) Or which Jane Austen character you are? (I'm Emma Woodhouse. Yes.) I mean it's totally addictive if you're into like, the most useless facts out there.

3. Pinterest


This is a given. I don't know anyone who has a Pinterest who wasn't at some point in their life totally obsessed with it. I've kind of grown out of it, which is good, because Pinterest totally gives you false expectations for like, crafts and recipes, but it does also give you some really good ideas. It's basically like, the social media for stay at home moms and 20 something year old women.

4. YouTube

YouTube is the ultimate time waster. While all the other websites out there have to potential to make you waste a bunch of time, YouTube pretty much DEMANDS that you give your full attention for at least like, five minutes. I mean, you can go on tumblr and look at the newest posts on your dashboard, and only take up about 30 seconds of your life, but even if you watch only ONE video on YouTube, you've already wasted five whole minutes! And for real, who stops at just one? YouTube videos are the cyberspace equivalent to potato chips. You will never, under any circumstance, be content with just one.

5. IMDb


One of my all time favorite pass times used to be to have two IMDb pages open at one time so I could be constantly watching movie previews without ever having to wait for them to load. I'd watch one on one IMDb tab, and when it was over, I'd pause at the beginning of the next and click over to my other IMDb tab, and watch whatever trailer was next on that page. It was kind of nerdy and pathetic, but really entertaining. I even kept a little journal of all the movies I wanted to see. I still have it somewhere and look at it occasionally. Plus, IMDb is great if you're SURE you've seen that actor somewhere else but you just can't think where. Just look up their name and browse through their entire filmography. Oh, and another favorite thing to do on IMDb is to see all the movie "trivia" pages, and look at all the "goofs" that were made in a movie. For example, did you know that in the movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Tibby's nose ring keeps changing positions between scenes, a clear tip off that it's not real?

So there you have it, a list of websites for you to waste your life on if you don't already have a bunch of life wasting websites. And believe me, these aren't the only websites that I peruse. There's Hulu, and Modcloth and Polyvore and Akinator. All very acceptable life wasting sites too. I just picked the ones I use most often.

Movie Recommendation: The Little Rascals. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen this movie. This was one of those movies that me and my brother used to watch incessantly as little kids, and I just got to thinking about it again recently because I bought my Mom a Linda Rondstadt record at Wonder Book and Video, and one of her songs is in The Little Rascals. I seriously used to consider this the saddest movie scene in the world when I was like, 7.

                     -VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts