Packing Light

      So last Sunday, this man from my church, we'll call him Bob, gave me a flash drive with a radio program on it that he wanted me to listen to. He said that the woman reminded him of me and that he thought I might be interested and inspired by what she had to say. Well, at first I was skeptical (AS PER USUAL. In case you haven't noticed, I'm a very skeptical individual) because people are often saying "Yeah, I think you'd find it inspiring" and I'm all the time thinking "You don't know what inspires me!" because I'm a pretty selfish and belligerent person. But the fact of the matter is that I myself do not know exactly what inspires me, so I thought I'd give the radio program a listen just so I could tell Bob I'd listened to it. I really wasn't expecting much because Bob is super smart, which is great, but I usually don't have the slightest idea what he's talking about. And the funny thing is, he thinks I'm smart, and seems to value my opinion on stuff when I'm like "Bob, I'm 16 years old. You're a wise old man. I can't compete here." Well, as it just so happens (and really, it just so happens this way a lot) that my skepticism was for nothing, because it really was a truly interesting and inspiring radio program and I'm very flattered that Bob thought the woman (her name is Allison Vesterfelt) reminded him of me because she seems like a very strong and faithful person.
     Anyway, Allison Vesterfelt was a young teacher, and was living a nice, steady, comfortable life but just felt like she was missing something. One day when she was talking to one of her friends, her friend asked her, if money were no object, if she had no obligations at home to take care of, what she would truly want to do in her lifetime, and Allison said that she would want to visit all fifty states, and then write a book about it. Her friend was like "Yeah, let's do it! I'll go with you!" but Allison thought her friend was crazy. I mean, it was really just a pipe dream for Allison, so she kind of wrote it off and went on with her current life. A week or so later, she was still thinking about the whole episode, and decided that she really wanted to go on the trip after all, so her and her friend quit their jobs and sold their homes, loaded up a vehicle with as many belongings as they could fit, and headed out.
     I wish I had the gumption to go out and do something crazy like that. To be secure enough to just interrupt my life and do something I truly wanted to do. It wasn't all peaches and plums for Allison and her friend though. They fought now and then, and at one point Allison almost bought a plane ticket and flew back home, but she really felt like God wanted her to keep going and finish what she started, so she did. After it all, she published her book "Packing Light: Thoughts on Living Life with Less Baggage".
     Allison had this ridiculous thought that after going on her whirlwind trip, no guy would ever want to be with her, but as it turns out, this guy named Darrell happened to find the blog that she kept throughout her trip, and as he read it he decided he had to meet her because he was so inspired by what she was doing. Allison thought that no man would understand why she did what she did, but in actuality if it weren't for her trip, she never would have met her now-husband Darrell.
     I think that's really cool, and I wish I could be more like Allison. Bob may think that I'm like her, but I'm really not. Maybe it theory--I mean I have big ideas, and I'm passionate, but I doubt I could ever do something so extravagant like Allison did. That's another reason why 7 is getting more and more excited and scared every day. It'll hopefully be like a mini version of Allison's big self-revealing 50-state road trip.

Movie Recommendation: The Pelican Brief. I usually think that law-related movies are boring and confusing, but The Pelican Brief was actually pretty intense and interesting.


                                             -VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts