More Happy Things

     It's hard to believe, but the first month of 2014 is already almost over! For me, the end of January is always bittersweet because it means that All County Orchestra, a yearly program for musicians all over the county that my friend and I participate in, is coming to an end. That end, incidentally, was tonight. Tonight was the concert, and as amazing as it is to play music with kids from so many different backgrounds, and schools, and with so many different styles and talent levels, it's also incredibly sad to think that I won't be able to be a part of such a huge thing again for a whole year.
     That's what it really is: just a huge event. Maybe it doesn't seem that way, there were probably only about 45 players this year, but even if it's not huge in number, it's huge in the sense that when I play violin for All County Orchestra, I'm playing for something so much bigger than myself. It's not longer just me and my home school buddies tinkering around on our instruments for a few minutes a day, playing a couple cute concerts every now and then for our parents. All County brings together so much unbelievable talent and skill that never ceases to astound me, year after year. All County Orchestra, for me at least, is one of those things that you just know you'll look back on in your memory when you're old and grey and want to tell your kids and grandkids all about. If you ever get the opportunity to be a part of something like All County Orchestra, don't pass up the opportunity. It's something you'll remember for a lifetime.

Movie Recommendation: Step Up. Despite all the sequels that have been made to this movie, the first one will always be the undeniable best. I love movies about Arts Schools. I don't even know why, because in real life, they aren't my favorite places. But in movies they seem so glamorous and exciting, and Step Up always really reminds me of All County Orchestra, just because there's so much concentrated talent in this movie!! It makes me wish I could dance sooooo bad!

Have a good weekend!
                          -VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts