25 Facts About Yours Truly: VaughnDL

1. I have an unusually strong sense of smell.

      Ooh, I actually really like her vest!
     It's not like I can sniff out a crime scene or something like that, but it does seem like I smell things a lot stronger than most people. And I can remember scents really well too. I don't know why, it's just one of my quirks.

2. I have a slight obsession with vests.
     If you see me everyday, you could probably guess that. I would say I wear at least one vest every week, usually more. I don't know what it is about them, they're just so versatile! And there's so many vests! I have a denim vest, a tie dye vest, a few leather vests, some suit vests, an old granny knitted vest! I love vests!!!

3. My least favorite food in the whole world is tuna noodle casserole.
     I think I'd rather eat cat barf than tuna noodle casserole. And I know how weird that is, because tuna noodle casserole is a dish that most people really like, but I guess it's just the mixture of noodles, chunks of tuna, and weird alfredo sauce stuff that does not go together well in my opinion. And there's always at least ONE really crunchy noodle in the casserole that you chomp down on unsuspecting, which only makes it worse. I'm turning up my nose just thinking about it.

4. I'm a collector.
     Ever since I was a little girl, I've collected stuff. Not even cool stuff, usually. I remember having this ridiculously extensive collection of ceramics, you know those tacky little figurines of teddy bear families and whatnot:

Yeah I had about a hundred of those. And I collected keychains, and rubber stamps, and seashells, and of course Barbie dolls. But now I collect "cooler" things. I collect glass Arizona tea bottles (so cool, I know, haha) and postage stamps and BOOKS! and jewelry (so much jewelry!) and greeting cards and paper fans, and fortunes from fortune cookies, and old photographs and post cards. And just about anything else you can think of. You should see my room. Jeesh.

5. I read the book Absolutely Normal Chaos every summer.
     It's kind of a tradition. I've done it since the summer after 5th grade I think, and it just kind of stuck. I think I like the book so much because the main character is so sarcastic and clueless at the same time, and she kind of reminds me of myself. And every single time I read that book I pick up something different that I hadn't noticed before. That's the sign of a good book, even if it is technically a kids book.

6. I have a very great appreciation for old dance/pop music.
     When I say old, I'm not talking about like 90s or 80s. I mean like 50s and 60s. They're just so goofy and catchy! I'm a huge fan of Chubby Checker, The Temptations, Etta James, Roy Orbison, Mickey and Sylvia, The Beach Boys. You name it.



7. When I was little, I was convinced my brother was an angel.
     I kid you not, I seriously thought he was. He still could be, who knows. See, when my brother was really young, he would always talk about seeing angels in his bedroom, and my Grandma thought he was going to die. I didn't think he was going to die, I just kind of thought he was one of them. Besides, I was a really fussy, snarky little kid and my brother was calm and kind, and everyone liked him better than they liked me and I figured it was because he had some kind of divine hierarchy over me. He's done enough over the years now to convince me he is, in fact, not an angel, or at least not a very good one. Haha.

8. I dip my pizza crust in my soda.
     I don't do this as much as I used to, but I used to do it all the time. If you eat the crust by itself, it's all hard and chewy, but if you dip it in your soda (especially coke) it makes the soda all fizzy and softens up the crust so it's easier to eat.

Ew.
9. I had a retainer in 3rd grade.
     Some people probably remember this about me, even though it was a pretty long time ago. I remember being so excited cuz I thought that if I got a retainer, I'd look super cool (where the heck did I get that idea?) but it turns out retainers are not nearly as fun as I'd anticipated. I never threw it in the trash by accident like people often do, but it would always get food stuck in it, and it made my mouth really saliva-y, and it smelled horrible. And all these years later, I realize that I was wearing the my retainers wrong: I had a clear one, which obviously should have been the one I wore during the day, but I wore that one at night. And I had the kind with a metal bar across the front, and that one probably should have been worn at night, but I wore it during the day. Wow, all these years later I'm finally realizing that I wore my retainers wrong...

10. I have absolutely no radar as to whether or not people are drunk or anything like that.
     I remember one time I went to Sheetz with some of my church friends and there was this dude in there who kept like chuckling and stumbling around and cussing, and after we left, I asked my one friend "What was up with that guy back there?" and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "He's drunk" like it was supposed to be totally obvious. Which it should have been, but I didn't pick up on it at all. The same basic thing happened a few other times too. I just really can't tell because I'm not usually around people who drink.

12. My favorite animal USED to be pigs...
     I used to think baby pigs were just the most precious little animals in the world, but then my Dad bought a bunch of pigs (cuz he's kuh-razy) and after like 6 years of having to take care of stupid pigs, I absolutely cannot stand them. Do not ever think that pigs are precious and adorable. They are the most wretched animals in the universe. Now my favorite animal is the average run of the mill house cat, because they don't poop in their own drinking water or accidentally kill their young by laying on them with their obese bodies. Which is what pigs do.

13. I have a retarded uncle.
     Sometimes when I tell people this, they are shocked and say something like "That's not nice, you shouldn't call him retarded, that's offensive." I just have to laugh when people say this, because absolutely no one is offended by me calling my uncle retarded except people who don't know my uncle, which is ironic. Here's the truth: the reason I call my uncle "retarded" instead of "handicapped" or "mentally challenged" is because he's not handicapped, or mentally challenged, he is, in fact, retarded. So I'm being politically correct when I say that. That being said, people are also shocked when I tell them that I have to "baby sit" my uncle. The statement is usually followed by a million questions about what it's like to take care of them, and I actually quite enjoy answering them. I might even do a blog post all about him one of these days, because I think it's an interesting subject that people should be told about so that they understand why it's not offensive to call a retarded person retarded.

14. My favorite season is fall.
     I absolutely adore fall! It's the perfect temperature, and it's soooo pretty!! I don't exactly like having to start school, but oh well.

15. My favorite place in the whole world (so far) is the pier at the campsite where I go on vacation every year.
     Every year my brother, my grandparents and I go to this little island called Chincoteague (maybe you've heard about it? There's a book set there about some pony?) and we stay in this campsite called Trails End, and there's a pier there that's just the prettiest place ever. So peaceful.

So pretty!!!! My grandparents' cabin isn't QUITE that nice. Haha.
16. I prefer the mountains to the beach.
     I like the beach, don't get me wrong, why else would my favorite place in the whole world be a pier? But I just love the mountains. My grandparents have a cabin up near Cumberland in the mountains, and I love it there. I would love to live there, so secluded from everything.

17. Two of my favorite sounds are my grandma sweeping the porch, and the sound of trains.
     Lots of people like the sound of trains--they're just so forlorn and eery sounding, which is really cool. But I don't have the slightest idea why I like the sound of my grandma sweeping the porch. I'm just weird I guess.

18. I like to bake, but hate to cook.
     Wow, 25 is a lot of things to think of about myself! And  this post is getting really long! Maybe it's cuz I keep writing so much about each one! Anyway, I like baking because you just mix everything up at once more or less and throw it in the oven. But cooking requires you to pay attention to about a thousand things at once and I hate that.

19. If I had to choose, February is probably my favorite month.
     It's not like my birthday is even in February. I just like it for some reason. I like Valentines Day and I like my brother's birthday, cuz I like throwing parties and stuff, and I don't know, it just seems like a lot of fun stuff happens in February. And the whole leap day thing is pretty cool.

20. My guilty pleasure song is "What Goes Around Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake.
     This is the song that I put on when no one else is home and dance around the house to. I'm not really a JT fan, but it's so catchy!

21. If I start reading a book and then I don't like it, I just stop reading it.
     A lot of people find this appalling--my Mom especially--but I just don't see the point in forcing yourself to read a book you truly don't enjoy. Sure, I've forced myself through books a few times, but as a rule, if I don't like it after the first two or three chapters, it's just not worth it to make myself suffer. And I can always come back to a book later. I mean, I change over the years, so I'm sure my taste in books changes too.

Greg Heffley can definitely testify that Middle School sucks.
22. I HATED MIDDLE SCHOOL!!!
     I know everyone hates middle school a little bit, but I'm telling you, those were the worst three years of my entire existance. I was so awkward, and I thought I was so cool and fashionable, but I was really just super dumb. And no one listens to kids that age, because no one knows how to respond to them: their too old to be doing stupid kiddish stuff, but not old enough to have real responsibilities. So from the ages of eleven to fourteen, you just kind of hang in pimple-y, angst-y limbo waiting impatiently for high school and wishing at the same time to return to childhood.

23. Animals hate me.
     If I were Native American, my possible name choices would be as follows: Chased By Weiner Dogs, Bitten By Weasel, or Head Butted by Baby Cow. Yep. Those all happened. I'm repellant.

24. I have a rather strang habit...
     For as long as I can remember, I've chewed on the inside of my mouth. This is a trait I inherited from my mother, because she does it too. I don't know why it's so addicting to do, it just is. When I'm bored, I chew on the inside of my cheeks. When I'm nervous, chew on the inside of my cheeks. I do it when I'm thinking, reading, writing, watching TV. My cheeks are riddled with scar tissue, I'm sure.

25. I'm secretly obsessed with Fanvids.
     Okay, well it's not a secret anymore. It's a well known fact that I'm pretty obsessed with YouTube, but the videos I watch more than anything are those videos people make on their own computer paying homage to some random movie. Such as the following:

Seriously, all day every day. Fanvids are my crack.


Well, if you weren't sure before if I was totally crazy, now you can be, because I've told you all my quirks and obsessions and weird idiosyncrasies. Hope you enjoyed, and sorry this was so unbelievably long!!!!!!!!!
                             -VaughnDL



Comments

  1. Dirty Dancing! And The Help! Stewart and Skeeter... they were so cute! Why did he have to be such a jerk??? It's funny because just yesterday, I Youtubed Chris Lowell and discovered that he is a photographer... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I found out he was a photographer through YouTube too a couple weeks ago! So weird.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts