Prepare To Stand Alone...Along With Disappointment

I know that I have been talking a lot about faith lately and post is no exception. So many people today talk about Teenagers and how we should be happy just because we are young. It's like they forget completely what being a teenager is like. As a teenager you are figuring everything out for the first time and the things that you think you believe in are put to the test by your peers and people you thought were your friends. Also by your parents and your teachers. I was on YouTube the other day...I know that's shocking. I watched a video created by a talented group of people recreating a true story. A young man named John and his two friends Jason and Matt had been accepted into the university of Japan which they had all worked so hard to get into. The two of the men were Christians and the other I believe was not. The day they got there they were invited to a student led party. John wasn't to sure about it because the music got louder and people got more drunk. He saw the group getting into a large circle about to pass marijuana cigarettes. John's friend Matt, who was not a Christian said that they would just pass the cigarette to the next person when it got to them. John was still uneasy about situation and even though he was publicly humiliated he left the party with his friend Jason. The police found out about the party and went to see what was going on. Of course the students threw the marijuana off the roof so they wouldn't get caught. They lined up all the students and told them to hold out their hands. It didn't matter whether or not they smoked it but if they held the marijuana they were considered guilty.
So what happened to the three friends?
Matt who had passed the cigarette around was kicked out of the university of Japan and sent back to the United States. Dreams of a career in Japan were washed away in a instance.
Jason continues to be grateful for John's act of courage he got married and had kids and also became a very successful business man.
John also got married and had kids and recently became a professor in Asia. I can only imagine how different his life would have had he not had the courage to leave the party on that important night in Japan.
I didn't think that this would happen to me or at least not on that scale. I'm very careful on who I spend my time with because anything can happen when you pick the wrong person to be hang out with. DE recently talked about her family issues and I really appreciate her doing that. It helps me to know that I am not alone with having awkward family situations. Every summer we go to my grandparents lake house. I brought a friend with me and one day after we were at the lake and went out to dinner with the rest of the family we came back and went up to our room. She asked me if I wanted to go for a walk. I watched as she put a pack of cigarettes in her pocket. I stared in disbelief. Seriously? was this really happening.
This was the realization that I was not a kid anymore that drugs, alcohol and cigarettes are a real thing and we can't hide from them.
All I could do was shake my head no she looked kind of shocked from my reaction and went without me. I took my bible and began to read it, like it was going to erase what had just happened. She came back from the walk which resulted in a awkward silence. I wanted nothing more than to just snap my fingers and go back home. She explained to me what she was doing was not a bad thing, that it was something that teenagers just do. She had been having her own struggles and she didn't believe in God. I told her that it wasn't right and so on and so forth. It was an opportunity that I just gave up. I didn't take the time to read the bible that was right in front of me with her because I thought that there was no way that she was going to listen to a thing that I said. I felt betrayed and alone in that instance I know though that God was there and that he will reward me for my behavior. I didn't feel him though, it was a hard thing to say no to just go along with it and not smoke but just go. I know that, that was a moment that she would never forget. The first time somebody actually told her no i'm not interested.
It's a hard thing to do but we need to stand strong in our faith.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts