February 2020 Movie Madness

Instant Family 4/5
This was a recommendation from AB and it was SO GOOD. One thing to know about me is I WILL cry at anything that has to do with adoption, so you better believe I was capital-e-Emotional at this movie!! I love that it was really hilarious and wasn't afraid to make light of some really really tough issues! I think people shy away from talking about adoption and foster care because they're scared of the implications of it all--so this movie was a very refreshing reprieve from that point of view. HIGHLY recommend!!




Dorfman in Love 2/5
This movie was so dumb. It was simultaneously predictable and bizarrely out of left field??? The actual love story could have been SO CUTE if it had actually been developed more. Instead too much time was wasting watching this poor girl think she's in love with this pretentious guy who's trying and failing to look like Sawyer from Lost, and then this absurd side story about her cheating brother and depressed father?? Idk it just did not work together for me whatsoever. The main actress was charming, but not enough to sell the whole movie.




Dumplin 4/5 (Rewatch)
I watched this movie for the second time because I read the book and absolutely LOVED the book, so I wanted to watch the movie again to see how well it actually stuck to the book. The answer is...just enough to get by, but not enough to be truly satisfying. I still really loved this movie, but after reading the book which obviously is able to develop characters way more and go into more complex topics and story threads, the movie was a little bit 2 dimensional in comparison. As far as a movie adaptation of a book goes, it does very well in the sense that it doesn't ADD anything stupid and unnecessary, but it does take out a LOT. So I would actually recommend watching the movie first, as a sort of  summary or taste of what you'll get when you read the book later. All in all, this story is extremely special to me as a ***Plus Sized Queen*** and there needs to be more stories like it, so I definitely recommend this!!!




Love Jacked 4/5
I was expecting a lighthearted cheesy romp, and yeah that's what I got, but it was also like, a top tier lighthearted cheesy romp. Like production quality was on point, the soundtrack was delightfully unique, the acting was surprisingly good, the humor was legitimately SO FUNNY, like I laughed out loud on more than a few occasions. The romance was also so SWEET and super PG which is my FAVORITE. Also the main guy was soooooooo good looking. I feel like this movie works because it both plays into the super tropey "Gotta hire somebody to be my fiance!" storyline, but at the same time totally makes fun of it and turns it on its head. If you like Holiday Engagement, Holiday in Handcuffs, One Small Hitch, Can't Buy Me Love, etc etc etc, you might very well like Love Jacked even BETTER.
Image result for shamier anderson
Just look at this GORGEOUS MANNNN




Nacho Libre 5/5 (rewatch)
I've been craving a rewatch of this movie for months now, so I finally just decided to go for it! Of course it was just as hilarious, charming, and endearing as I remembered it being! I think I've said this before on the blog, but one thing I really appreciate about this movie is that it really puts faith as a centerpoint, and both highly respects it, and pokes fun at it, which I think is something too many movies shy away from. This movie is also so incredibly quotable, it's fantastic. There is no way a movie like Nacho Libre could be made today, so it is truly such a blessing that it was made when it was and we get to enjoy it for all that it is.
Image result for nacho libre gif
Me in Sunday School LOL




Stardust 4/5 (rewatch)
Just as good as I remember. And I finally put two and two together about why he became king. I always thought Tristan became king at the end just because he completed this big journey and won this huge fight. I never realized he was actually a rightful heir to the throne. (And this is a girl who has seen this movie at least four times...) I think there's just something about vast fantasies that I can never quite follow along with. I enjoy them, this one especially, but I just enjoy the scenes as they come one after another, and never actually piece together the whole story. One could say I'm a dingus. The friends I rewatched this movie with definitely flamed me for just now getting that huge plot point LOL. Anyway, this is one of those rare and wonderful movies that can be enjoyed by all ages and can be enjoyed by lovers of all genres! It also has always seemed to me like it takes place in the same universe as Ella Enchanted. They both give me very similar vibes. Also this movie is like the creme de la creme of a guy looking homely in the beginning and then growing on you to the point that he looks really hot at the end.
Image result for tristan thorn stardust
Tristan at the beginning...

Image result for stardust tristan at the beginning vs the end
Tristan at the end....I mean.....how did he gain such an impeccable jawline??




Hope Floats 2.5/5
So I'd been pining to see this movie for a long time, and I found it for $3.99 at FYE, so I snatched 'er up because can you believe this movie isn't available for streaming like anywhere??? And, well, here's the verdict: Right off the bat, can we take a moment to appreciate how sexy Harry Connick Jr. is in this movie?????? Like he ain't even my type but he transcends type in those jeannnnns wooh mama. Also baby Mae Whitman is the cutest child on the planet. This movie was half super adorable and funny, and half long and a little pointless. By the end I was getting really bored. 90s fashion was super on point. Sandra Bullock looks exceptionally beautiful in this movie. There's some really quotable and endearing parts in this movie but then there's also some parts where you're like "Huh? why are they dancing like that? Why is his hand on her neck in such an awkward fashion? Why is this woman yelling at her child? Why is that little kid dressed up as Charlie Chaplin?" I will say that that scene with Bernice and her dad is absolutely devastating. And incredibly acted on the part of Mae Whitman like wow. I think if you go into this movie thinking it's a romantic comedy, you're going to be disappointed. If you go into it thinking it's more of an adult coming of age drama, then you'll probably find a lot more charm in it.
Image result for hope floats gifs
Love me a good southern gentleman.



February did not finishes:

Beyond Borders

Honestly I think if I ever finish this movie, I will actually be able to say I liked it quite a bit. But for some reason I'm just not feeling it right now? It could have something to do with how distracting Angelina Jolie's lips are, or the fact that I fundamentally don't like the idea of portraying foreign aid as this like...exciting vigilante thing?? Idk. But there were some really powerful parts that I was surprised "went there" for a movie from the early 2000s. And also Clive Owen has like the most gorgeous snaggle tooth of all time (though I couldn't find a good pic of it...looks like he had some dental work done, sadly). So maybe I'll get around to finishing this someday.


Isi and Ossi

I thought this would be a really cute slow burny kind of romance but it was WAY too fast and just not my style of movie at all. I thought the main guy was a really good actor but the girl annoyed me (I understand that to a certain point, she was supposed to since she's like a rich snobby chick, but there was nothing all that redeeming about her). Plus the movie is supposed to be about her following her dreams and going to culinary school, but over halfway through the movie there's still like nothing even remotely related to her culinary dreams happening? Just a bunch of chicanery and a rapping old grandpa?? Odd.

Wow I just realized this post about movies ended up with me just posting a bunch of pics of cute guys...that's pretty on brand for me to be honest. Hope you enjoyed.

VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts