Personality Types

     A few weeks ago, I sat in the church sanctuary with Genesta and Kaitlyn and took the Myers Briggs personality assessment. My result was not at all what I expected, and after thinking it over, I decided that the conclusion was probably tainted by the bias of Genesta and Kaitlyn's opinions of the questions while I answered them. See, in comparison to those two, I am certainly the extrovert-- but that's because they are both very quiet and somewhat shy. So I decided to take the test again, on my own to get a more accurate reading(okay, my mom was there, but she didn't sway any of my answers I promise).
Image result for intp-a
That's me on the left!
     The result this time was so spot on it was a little scary, and also very interesting, so I shall share some points of it with you.

My Personality Type: INTP-A, AKA "The Logician"

     When I first read that my personality type was called The Logician, I was predetermined to disagree with it. When I think of the word "logic", I think about math and science and data and probability, all things that I completely abhor and am positively no good at. But I began reading my personality profile and realized that that's not what the INTP-A personality is at all.

Yep, That's Me!

Here are some quotes from the personality profile that describe me to a T.

"The Logician personality type is fairly rare, making up only three percent of the population, which is definitely a good thing for them, as there’s nothing they’d be more unhappy about than being “common”."
Guilty as charged. 

"It’s not that they are dishonest, but people with the Logician personality type tend to share thoughts that are not fully developed, using others as a sounding board for ideas and theories in a debate against themselves rather than as actual conversation partners."
Yup, that's me. Sometimes I'll hear myself saying something I don't even necessarily agree with just to see what another person's reaction is, or to help me decide if I like the way that belief sounds when I say it out loud, which will help me determine if I actually want to believe whatever I've just said. 

Image result for intp-a
Except for "research about everything" this is all very accurate.
"People who share the Logician personality type aren’t interested in practical, day-to-day activities and maintenance, but when they find an environment where their creative genius and potential can be expressed, there is no limit to the time and energy Logicians will expend in developing an insightful and unbiased solution."
For example, I will drop everything to write a thirty page dissertation about my favorite TV shows in my journal, complete with photos printed off and taped in from the internet, and in depth character profiles which I've carefully mulled over in my head...but I haven't gotten around to putting away my folded laundry in four days. 

"When Logicians are particularly excited, the conversation can border on incoherence as they try to explain the daisy-chain of logical conclusions that led to the formation of their latest idea. Oftentimes, Logicians will opt to simply move on from a topic before it’s ever understood what they were trying to say, rather than try to lay things out in plain terms."
So THIS is why my Mom doesn't understand what I'm trying to say most of the time and why she thinks I'm crazy...:)

"Further, Logicians are unlikely to understand emotional complaints at all, and their friends won’t find a bedrock of emotional support in them. People with the Logician personality type would much rather make a series of logical suggestions for how to resolve the underlying issue, a perspective that is not always welcomed by their more sensitive companions. This will likely extend to most social conventions and goals as well, like planning dinners and getting married, as Logicians are far more concerned with originality and efficient results."
Yup, yup, and yup. 

"Logicians are solitary, eccentric, and independent – none of which is listed as desirable for corporate positions, which are usually designed for very different personality types."
True...but not very encouraging. 

Image result for intp-a"Logician personalities are self-driven and have very high personal standards – “good enough” is never good enough – but have few environmental needs. Despite this relative simplicity, they are often hard for more people-centric types to understand. Logicians live primarily in their own heads, and have little interest in social distractions like chitchat and motivational speeches."
Ugh yes, you can skip all the "Be yourself! Follow your dreams! You can do anything if you set your mind to it!" nonsense with me.  


Eh, Not Quite

Not every single thing about the INTP-A personality type resonated with me, but that's only natural, because everyone is different, and as awesome and perceptive as personality tests can be, they are all subject to some wiggle room from person to person. So here are a few things that I don't think fit my personality.

"Chief among Logicians’ interests is exploring and building models for underlying principles and ideas, even going so far as to find these concepts, in their own way, beautiful – this makes them natural mathematicians, systems analysts, and career scientists, especially in more abstract fields such as physics."
This is definitely not me. 

"For this reason, the flatter the workplace hierarchy, the better, making small, technical workplaces and fields such as law, forensics, and laboratory research very desirable for Logicians."
Image result for intp-aI agree with not liking workplace hierarchy, but I definitely have no interest in law or any of those other fields. 

"Work as business analysts and corporate strategists is well suited to Logicians, but they can also move things forward as data analysts, mechanical, electrical and software engineers."
Okay so clearly they are way off about the type of job that would be best suited for me...but everything else was pretty near spot on!

In short, I love taking personality tests and reading about what I'm supposedly like according to a computer, especially when most of it is totally accurate! If you'd like to find out your own Myers Brigg personality profile, you can take the assessment here. It's super fun (if you like answering a lot of questions all about yourself). 

-VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts