The Journaling Tag


1. What kind of journaling do you do?

I try to journal everyday. I mostly write about my life, my thoughts or I’ll take a journal prompt off of the internet if I’m desperate for something to write about. I’ll also put art in my journals and write a story about them or incorporate it into whatever I’m writing.

2. Do you have different journals for different topics?

I’ve tired.
I can’t do it though. I tried to keep two of my own journals but it was difficult for me. I like having it all in one place. I keep a journal with Swag and DL if that counts.

3. When did you start?

I have these little journals from when I was a kid but I didn’t start journaling till about eighth grade and I didn’t take it seriously until my freshman year of high school. Those were kind of the dark days of journaling. I never read my eighth grade or freshman year journal because they’re either really boring or make me cringe.


4. How often do you write in your journal?

It depends. During the summer I normally write everyday. It all depends on how busy I am. I try not to push myself to write to much because that sucks the fun out of it. I found that I’ve had more time to write in college which is strange. I guess because my schedule is more flexible.


5. What are your favorite tools for journaling?

The Sharpie Pen. That is literally a God sent when it comes to writing. I know that it’s expensive but it’s worth it. It’s the best pen that I’ve ever used. I also love washi tape.

6. Would you like to show us some of your journals?

Outside? Sure. Inside? Probably not. I’m brutally honest in my journals. I try not to think that anyone will read them, that way I’m more honest. Almost everything is written in the heat of the moment so if you do read it someday...please take it with a grain of salt. 

7. Why do you do it?

Journaling is like my therapy, it keeps me somewhat sane. It allows me to sort out my thoughts and make me realize things about myself. It’s also a way to make memories immortalized. I might not remember exactly what happened but I can go back and read about it. No memory is tainted because of the future. I didn’t know what was going to happen in the future when I wrote it. 

8. How has journaling influenced your life?

Like I said before, it keeps me sane. It makes me look at life and everything in it a little differently. If I think i’m going to write about a certain event or object I’m more attentive in that moment or I’ll look at the object a little longer. 

9. What topics do you like to write about?

Hm, I’ve never thought about that before. I love writing about my friends, it so fun. I love writing about their personalities and quirks. I love seeing them change throughout the years. Whether that’s through pictures or what I wrote about.
10. What’s your least favorite topic to write about?
Struggles and hardships.
There’s a quote that I love about writing by Ernest Hemingway,

“Write hard and clear about what hurts.”

That quote has carried me throughout this entire year. I often have to push myself to write about my mental illness, my loneliness, my anger and frustrations. Because it’s not fun or pretty to write about those things. It’s very ugly and it hurts to write about. You can’t stick pretty pictures or fancy fonts when writing about those topics. I don’t want people to read about those things someday but their also important to write about, that’s when I grow the most. 
11. How do you make time for journaling?
I literally take my journal and pen everywhere with me. It doesn’t matter how big or small the journal is. I don’t have time to sit and write for hours so I have to take the five minutes I have before class or in between studying. The time doesn’t normally come out of nowhere.
12. What would you do if someone read your journals?
Without my permission? Probably cry. I would become the most paranoid person in the world and lock my journals in a safe.
13. Do you have tips for people who want to start the habit?
  1. It will suck at first, just keep writing, it will come naturally to you eventually. It took me three years before I became fully comfortable with writing.
  2. Write about whatever you want- No one is pining to read your journals, say what you need to say.
  3. Don’t worry about punctuation and grammar, that’s the last thing you should be thinking about.
  4. Believe that no one will ever read it. 
  5. Find prompts or inspiration on Pinterest. (It’s a beautiful place).
  6. Don’t feel the need to do it perfectly.
  7. The paper shredder exists, if need be.
14. What are your favorite journaling YouTube videos?

I love to watch YouTube videos when I’m writing. One of my favorite YouTuber's is Overall Adventures. She seems like the type of person that I would genuinely want to be friends with. Her voice is calming, her videos are original and she’s very honest when sharing her journals. There are so many videos that I could recommend but I’ll just pick two…



Whitty Novels- I love watching journal flip throughs because they inspire me. Some people find them intimidating but I love them. They’re a great way to get new ideas and to force yourself to sit down and write. I also just have a soft spot in my heart for these journal flip throughs.




Dodie Clark (Doddlevloggle)- Doddie doesn’t post videos about journaling in particular but she inspires me to write. Her videos are very down to earth and real. She’s also a melodramatic person, has to make a life lesson out of every situation in her life sort of person. I think that’s why I adore her so much because I do the same thing. We’re very much alike and that is so comforting.





 Okay, I promise that this is my last Dodie video. I love this song and how simple/calming her music is. I also just picked three sad Dodie videos...I promise that they’re not all sad. Just take a few hours and watch all of her videos.

DFTBA
-AB

Comments

  1. I love this tag!!! And I've watched some of Dodie's videos before and really like her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts