The Journaling Tag: VaughnDL Edition

I absolutely loved reading AB's Journaling Tag, so here's my take on it!

1. What kind of journaling do you do?
Monthly Mood Tracker in Monthly Bullet Journal Setup:
This is so cute! I should start doing this. 
     I do the regular old fashioned type of journaling, which is to say, I write about my life. I try to sprinkle in some little drawings and artifacts from places I go when I think about it, and I definitely try to do that more now than I used to because I think it adds a lot of charm and interest to my journals (and also it takes up more space...I love starting new journals, so I try to get through journals as quickly as I can and taping stuff onto the pages helps me do that). I wish I could have the dedication and aesthetic prowess to be a bullet journaler because it looks so amazing and probably helps the people who do it to lead beautiful, organized lives. But I ain't got a beautiful, organized mind, so that style of journaling is not for me.

2. Do you have different journals for different topics?
     Yes, I do, but I really really stink at keeping them all updated. I'm really only truly dedicated to my main diary journal. That being said, I have an iPhone notes journal (which I do actually keep updated fairly regularly), a prayer journal, a catch-all journal where I make to-do lists and grocery lists and whatnot, a quotes journal, a dream journal, and a poetry journal. I probably have more than that (not probably definitely) but those are the ones I can think of right now.

3. When did you start?
Simple way to track movies I want to watch, and what I have watched during a year in the bullet journal. I might do the same for books! #bujo:
I should do this too!!!
     My first diary dates back to 5th grade, and only had two entries in it, both of which I can remember vividly though I have since discarded the notebook they were in. The first was about my friend Emma getting her "first kiss" at the bowling alley at some birthday party, and the second was about how there was a bunny at school that was being raffled off as a prize and how I really really wanted it. Then there was a lull until I decided to start journaling again in 7th grade, and that's when I got really serious about it. In fact, I was really obsessed for many years, and I do miss that childish passion a lot. Though I admire my past self's tenacity and consistency in writing about every detail of my life, that first "real" journal was incredibly embarrassing and frankly quite mean!!! I thought every cute guy was totally in love with me and I seemed to be in a perpetually cranky mood and would write about everything that made me mad. I really hate that journal and don't regret the fact that I dumped nail polish and water all over it and threw it in the trash a few years ago. Now I'm up to my 22nd official diary.

4. How often do you write in your journal?
     Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't have a concrete answer to this. It used to be every day and hopefully someday that will be the case again. But for the past two or three years, I've really only written in my diary when the desire strikes me. If I had to quantify that, I would say at least once a week and at most, five times a week. I definitely write more in the summer.

Image result for pilot v55. What are your favorite tools for journaling?
     Two years ago for Christmas, Austin and Kourteney got me a pack of Pilot V5 pens, and I haven't looked back since. They are absolutely amazing. I have them in a ton of colors, but black is my favorite because it's classic. They're like a mix between a ball point pen and a gel pen, with Sharpie-like sharpness. And they have a cap so I'm not tempted to go "CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK" when I'm bored. Besides my favorite pens, I use trusty Scotch tape to adhere things to the pages. Sometimes I use washi tape, but it doesn't usually stick as well (probably cuz I just bought some cheapos from Dollar Tree).

6. Would you like to show us some of your journals?
     Like show you what they look like, or read parts to you? I'll see what I can drum up...

Okay folks, I made a short video showing a little bit of one of my most recent journals and posted it on YouTube just for you! For some reason it ended up being sideways and I couldn't figure out how to correct it, so unfortunately if you decide to actually watch my very mediocre journal vlog, you'll just have to crane your neck or put your phone on rotation lock or something, and for that I apologize. But without further adieu, here's my video:


7. Why do you do it?
     I journal because it's my way of expressing my thoughts and feelings so that they don't implode within me and make me go crazy or get too existential. I think everybody has something they do for this purpose, be it playing an instrument, playing a sport, taking photographs, singing, making crafts, etc. And if you don't have something like this, you likely have a yearning for such a thing. I know when I don't journal for a while, I feel like a plugged up drain. Writing for me is like yanking the hair out of the bathtub and plopping it onto paper in the shape of words and thoughts. Great analogy, right?

8. How has journaling influenced your life?
Get Messy Art Journal ♥ Caylee Grey:
Maybe one day I'll put in the effort to make my journals more beautiful....
     Journaling has given me something to go back to. In a way, my journals are like my home or like a part of me. They're also like a friend when I feel sad or homesick. And they're like my way of making a mark on the world even if none of my other books ever get published, because I know when I'm old or when I pass away, those notebooks will live on and get passed to my children so they can know who I was on a deeper level, and that makes me really happy and relieved to know that a little bit of me will live on.

9. What topics do you like to write about?
     I love to write about the adventures I have when taking trips to new places. My life isn't all that exciting, so unless I go somewhere I don't usually feel like there's much to write about. I also love writing about tv shows and movies and books that I love, but those parts are always really boring to read back over because I write about them at the time that I'm really passionate about them, but then later I don't care as much.

10. What's your least favorite topic to write about?
     It's painful to write about how people change and grow apart. But it also feels really necessary to document.

11. How do you make time for journaling?
     During the school year, I would usually write on Sundays because that was my day where I didn't let myself do any school work, so I would catch up on my journaling and personal writing. During the summer, I try to write in the mornings or the evenings, and I take my journal with me in the car sometimes, especially when riding along with my grandparents when we go yardsaling every Friday. I know this is really weird, but yardsaling always really really inspires me. The time in the car is great for thinking, and the houses we get to see and the people and the items for sale are great fodder for characters and places in stories. Wow I'm getting off topic.

12. What would you do if someone read your journals?
Unknown artist (found through Pinterest):
     This is a really interesting question that AB and SE and I have kind of discussed a little bit with each other, and we kind of have different perspectives on it. Because for me, even since the beginning, I've always kind of written in my diary as if someone was reading it. Like I always subconsciously write for an audience, even though I know my parents aren't the type to read my journals, and somehow I got lucky enough to get a brother who could care less about the stuff I write in my diary and has never (to my knowledge) tried to read them. So in a way, I wouldn't care if someone read my journals. In fact, I really hope when I die that people do get to read them. Honestly, there are times when I say to my mom "I wrote all about it in my diary so I'll just let you read about it in there some day". All of that being said, there are certain things that I don't write about in my diary for that very reason-- because someday someone might read it, and I don't think they need to know about certain things, certain thoughts I have, certain heat-of-the-moment opinions I had that quickly fade off or change. Words are so immortal, so I try not to write when I'm angry (anymore at least...) because I know what I write in those moments won't always be true. Does that mean I'm not completely honest in my journals? I don't know. But I'll say this: I'm as honest in my journals, if not more so, as I am in person. I don't keep deep dark secrets in my diary because if I'm not willing to say something out loud to the people I'm closest to, then I'm also not willing to say something out loud in my diary. I feel I'm as honest as I can be in my diary, but I'm also as honest as I can be in person. Interpret that however you want to because at this point I'm just rambling, LOL. One more thing: one time I read a quote by Tavi Gevenson that basically summed up my entire philosophy and thought process while journaling, so I'll share that with you: "I'll call this a diary, but of course I know you're there. I don't know if I ever intended to keep any of this to myself." Isn't that beautiful? I think so.

13. Do you have tips for people who want to start the habit?
     Yes, thanks for asking.
      1. Don't feel bad for not writing every day. I hear so many people saying "if you want to be a serious writer, you have to write something every day". Now, I'm not published yet, but I would beg to differ on the grounds that you DO have to do something every day, and that's think creatively and utilize your imagination. But you don't necessarily have to put it down on paper if you don't feel like it. Also, you have your memory, and what a beautiful thing it is. If something is important enough to write about, it's something you'll remember anyway.
     2. Start out with a thin journal. Thick notebooks still scare me to this day. I love them, but they scare me. Thin journals will give you such a giddy sense of accomplishment when you fill it up quickly!
     3. Reconcile yourself to the fact that you will be embarrassed about something you wrote about at some point in the future. It's the hazard of the job.
     4. Don't think it will always come naturally. Some times it will, and those are beautiful times. But sometimes it won't-- and those are beautiful times too as long as you don't let it get to you too much.
Marble Journal - Urban Outfitters:      5. Don't write too much about what you ate...you won't care about it later (this is a note to myself. I always over-describe meals and then roll my eyes later)
     6. Pick a journal that inspires you. The type of paper, the width of the lines, the design on the cover, the colors. It all matters and it all contributes to the atmosphere you will be writing in for however long it takes to fill your journal. At the same time, don't spend a million dollars!!! It's paper for goodness sake. They have some seriously cute and seriously cheap journals at Ross and Marshalls and even 5 Below. And my personal favorite place to buy notebooks? You guessed it: Yardsales.
     7. You're allowed to slash things out if you hate them later. Don't let yourself regret it too much.
     8. Write because YOU want to. Not because it seems like a cool thing people are doing these days. And don't worry if your journal doesn't look as pretty as all those ones one YouTube! Those people have a lot of free time and startlingly clutter free minds. But you are a real, busy, crazy human being, and your journal is allowed to be a reflection of that.

14. What are your favorite journaling YouTube videos?
     I've only watched a few journaling videos, and while they are calming and impressive and sometimes inspiring, I don't find them realistic for my personal journaling style, so I'm not like a superfan. Here's one I have saved in my "Self Help/DIY" playlist on YouTube:



I do follow a few journaling/studying blogs on tumblr that were recommended to me by Marina, so you can check them out by clicking on their usernames below.

studywithinspo

studyrelief

studyblues



And here are a few sample pictures from some of those blogs:

This is the reason why I don’t have any money left







bluelahe:
“July spread :)
”

Thanks for the tag idea AB! I loved this. 

VaughnDL 

Comments

  1. Aw that video was so cute! I wish I had a passion for journaling but...well, let's just say I've never finished one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts