NEWS FLASH: YOU NEED TO SLEEP

Image result for sleep deprivation     I don't know what it is about college kids thinking that they can function on two hours of sleep every night for weeks on end. Maybe I'm just super lame (okay, I definitely am lame, but also well-rested!), but Rebecca and I both go to bed by midnight (usually earlier) pretty much every single night, and we don't wake up till 7 or 7:30 at the earliest. I can't function if I don't get my eight hours. AND NEITHER CAN YOU! You may think that you're a superhuman and can go to bed at four A.M. and wake up at six A.M. and take that midterm and get an A, but boy, you're kidding yourself. Ain't no amount of coffee in the world can wake you up from weeks of sleep deprivation. I understand that you have a lot to do, that your life is busy and there is simply not enough time in the day to do everything you "need" to do. I know. But you can't sacrifice your health over it. Sleep is more important than an extra three hours of studying. Sleep is, NEWS FLASH, something you actually NEED to do. Just like eating and breathing. And you need more than two, three, four hours of it every night. In case you don't believe me, listen to the experts:
Studies show an increased mortality risk for those reporting less than either six or seven hours per night. One study found that reduced sleep time is a greater mortality risk than smoking, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
-Dr. Michael J. Breus 
     YOU'RE SLOWLY KILLING YOURSELF!!! GO TO BED!! I feel like college students treat it almost as a competition like "Ah man, I only got five hours of sleep last night" "Dude, that's so much. I got like one hour last night and two the night before. I've had like twelve Red Bulls today." It's like a competition to see who's more busy and stressed out and who can push themselves the hardest and freak out the most over school. It's ridiculous. Maybe I just don't understand because I'm in an "easy" major and don't play a sport or have a job or an internship so I don't know what it's like to be so busy I "have" to only get five hours of shut eye every three days. Either way, I just think it's dumb to brag about barely sleeping. It's something you need to do so just do it!

With love,
Your Mother

Day 1189 Song Recommendation: "Priceless" by For King & Country.
Day 1190 Song Recommendation: "Umpqua Rushing" by Blind Pilot.
Day 1191 Song Recommendation: "This Is How We Walk on the Moon" by Geographer.
Day 1192 Song Recommendation: "Spirit Cold" by Tall Heights.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts