How to Start Running (and Keep Running)

Image result for hating running     I have never like running. In fact, for most of my life it's fair to say that I hated running. I loved the idea of it. But actually doing it? Nope. Because of this, I've had many short-term bouts with running. Times where I would try to run a mile a day for a couple months, times when I was trying to improve my mile time, times when I was trying to work up my endurance. After seeing no results and still absolutely hating it, I would give up. Because of this, there has not been a single year of my life where I've run all year round. I'll try it for a week or two, maybe even a few months, and then decide that it's simply not worth it. However, since mid-January, I've been running more consistently and not hating it! And I think it's due to three things.

  1. Accountability partner.
  2. Someone to push me.
  3. Something to look forward to.
     Every Tuesday and Thursday, Haley and I run from 9:30-10:00 AM. If it weren't for her, I would not go at all. I don't have class until 11, so I would just sleep during that time. We keep each other accountable. Neither of us would run if it weren't for the other. Some days, Haley can't make it because she has to study for a bio exam. On those days, I don't run. I have great intentions, but it doesn't happen. I know that there is no one waiting for me outside my dorm at 9:30, ready to run, so I just stay in bed. Having a "running buddy" is essential if you're like me and talk yourself out of doing things that you know are good for you.

     When I go on runs with TJ, he pushes me to run faster and longer than I normally do on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I know that he's naturally a better runner than me, so I try to not be a slug. He also points out things that I wouldn't normally notice, like how loudly my feet hit the pavement and how fast I'm breathing. It makes me more aware of what I'm doing and how to fix it so running isn't quite so dreadful and painful.

     Signing up for races always forces me to keep running because I don't want to be completely out of shape come race day. Granted, I slacked off for two weeks before the Back on My Feet 5 miler, but I had a few months of running under my belt before my hiatus, so it wasn't awful on race day. Having something to look forward to, especially something that you think you might not be ready for, pushes you to keep running.

Some things to remember:

    Image result for running
  1. Try not to get discouraged by the person running a 4 minute mile pace around the track (for much more than one mile). You don't have to run fast or even run well to be a runner. Just run.
  2. There's no such thing as a "runner's body". The beautiful thing about running is that anyone can do it. You just need a pair of shoes (actually, shoes are optional) and a sidewalk (or a track or a treadmill or a road or a trail). In almost any other sport there's an "ideal body type": football players are big and bulky; basketball players are gigantic string beans; gymnasts are petite and muscular; swimmers have huge shoulders. Etc. But running? You can weigh 400 pounds or 100; you can have no visible muscles or be a body builder; you can be 18 or 81. Forget about the "runner's body". You are the runner's body.
  3. It takes time to build up strength and endurance. If all you can do the first time you run is go a hundred yards, so what. You went. Which is more than a lot of people did. It might take a year before you can run a mile, but that's still enormous progress. And progress is the whole point.
  4. Even when you don't see progress, don't give up. If you're running to lose weight, don't expect to drop five pounds after your first run (or first five runs). If you're running to get in shape, don't expect your mile time to drop a minute every time you run. Running is not like body building. The results happen slowly, without you noticing. It may take years, but one day you'll realize that you're running faster and easier than you ever have before and it's simply because you kept running!
  5. Every time you run, you're adding years onto your life! Thirty minutes of exercise five times a week has been proven to increase life span! (I'm currently very behind this thirty-minutes-five-times-a-week thing, but we're getting there).
  6. If you absolutely hate it, JUST STOP! There are other kinds of exercise. You can dance, walk, bike, do yoga, pilates, kickboxing. Find your groove and go with it.
Day 1218 Song Recommendation: "Into Gold" by Matthew and the Atlas.
Day 1219 Song Recommendation: "Straight Lines" by East Love.
Day 1220 Song Recommendation: "Another Blue Sky" by Lost In Caravaggio.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts