"Home Is Where My Head Is."

I'm going to post this...even if it kills me.
I'm still not exactly in the blogger mood and I'm sorry. I had to talk about this though. Florida was busy and amazing. Unfortunately, my mom broke her foot on the last day of the trip. The next day in the airport was hell. I cannot even imagine how much it hurt her to be walking on a broken foot for more than twenty-four hours. Especially after I ran over her foot with a suitcase...I was laughing and crying through the whole thing. When we did get home I saw a giant package with my name on it. I thought that it was birthday present for Sid but I realized it wasn't when I opened it. I saw gifts wrapped in tissue paper and tears immediately filled my eyes.

"Who did this?" I thought.



I picked one of the packages and saw that it was a book, then another one, a coloring book and colored pencils. These books shared one thing in common: They deal with mental illness. My heart felt so full that it could have exploded. Then at the bottom of the box there was a note. It was from my cousin's wife, Melissa. I was unbelievably surprised, why? Why did she do this? I was never particularly close to my cousins. If I'm not close to them then why would I be close to their spouses? I've talked about Melissa before and she is wonderful. Sometimes I wonder how she ended up into this crazy family. I just assumed that Melissa never noticed me. I completely forgot the fact that we follow each other on social media. She knew that I was struggling with the election, mental illness etc...
This was more than just a gift to me.
It said, "I see you, I care about you and you haven't gone unnoticed."
Flash forward to now...
I heard somewhere that you shouldn't wake up and ask if you're depressed. That if you look for it you will eventually find it. Sometimes you wake up and you just know. You feel exhausted, unmotivated and uninterested and, that's how I felt this morning. It feels very physical in a way. I just wanted to lay in bed all day, despite the fact that I had homework to do. Eventually, I gave up on the fact that I was going to finish all the work I wanted to do today. It's not going to happen. I pulled out the coloring book and picked out a random page.

"Home is where my head is"

There wasn't a miracle recovery but, it helped me to get out of my head.
Thank you Melissa, I will never forget this.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

Popular Posts