Vaughn Christmas Highlights

Here is a non exhaustive list of some of the things that have occurred during my Christmas season spent with my lovely and eternally unique family:

1. On Christmas Eve, my Dad tried his hand at deep frying. His first attempt was apparently unsuccessful, because when he dropped the oyster into the bubbling oil, it nearly exploded. He eventually got the hang of things and made a delicious selection of fried oysters, but then decided to experiment with other mediums, and made us all try deep fried pickles. In case you haven't had the chance to try this yourself, I can definitively tell you that deep fried pickles taste exactly like you would imagine them to: like hot pickles.

2. At Christmas Eve dinner, we all held hands and prayed like we always do, and as soon as the prayer was over, my uncle started the table talk off on the right foot by announcing "Well, Uncle George is officially bedridden." It was truly sad news, but the timing of it was just so amusing that I'm ashamed to say I laughed. I don't think I was the only one.

3. Typically on Christmas Eve, the whole family gathers around my grandma's awesome retro little table and makes cut out sugar cookies, never missing a chance to make the cookies into inappropriate shapes and sneaking chunks of dough into our mouths and laughing until we have to walk away from the table. This year, however, we decided to forego the tradition and just break the huge hunk of dough into two halves-- one half for my immediate family, and one half for my aunt and uncle's immediate family. We were supposed to take the dough home and make our own cookies out of it, but admittedly, we all just ate the uncooked dough. It is seriously the most delicious cookie dough you will ever encounter in your lifetime.

4. My mom somehow overlooked stocking stuffers this year, which greatly saddened me because stocking stuffers are usually my favorite part of Christmas morning. When it was revealed that mom hadn't gotten any, I forlornly started stuffing my own stocking with some random stuff I had bought for myself recently, but my Dad stopped me. "This is just too sad!" He said, "Give me the stocking, I'll be in charge of stocking stuffers this year". I think my dad should officially be in charge of stocking stuffers from now on because they were inadvertently hilarious. To name a few of my goodies: eye drops, chafing powder, and a magazine about frugal country living. I loved them all.

5. Christmas Even wouldn't have been complete if my grandma's wig hadn't been passed around the room to be tried on by whoever wanted. When it was my brothers turn, he stood on the couch and did Donald Trump impressions in the wig, which my aunt secretly videotaped and will most likely use for blackmail later on.

6. The day after Christmas, my dad decided to take Boxing Day literally and woke us all up to help clean out all the boxed up junk in the garage to take to the new thrift store that my mom is on the board of directors for. Before all that fun fun fun however, my dad was so kind as to make us breakfast. He made scrambled eggs, but there was a catch. He scrambled the left over egg mixture that he had previously used to dip his oysters in before rolling them in batter to deep fry. Needless to say, the scrambled eggs tasted very much like oysters even though dad said we were being dramatic and no they did not (they definitely did. It was disconcerting.) I managed to finish my weird oyster flavored eggs but my brother gave up and scraped them onto my dad's plate.

     Well I think those were some of my favorite moments so far. I'm sure there are still more to come and I'm anxiously awaiting all the fun quirks my family has in store! I think I can honestly say that this has been one of my favorite Christmases so far. I wish I didn't have to head back to school in a week but it is what it is. Hope your Christmas was magical just like mine!!

-VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts