Thoughts on the Gilmore Girls Reboot

     If you're a fan of Gilmore Girls and you've watched the new addition to the series, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, then this post is for you. If not, then none of this will probably mean anything to you and I apologize. Or you can stick around anyway, but beware SPOILERS!

So I started watching Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, and I was like "this is great, it feels like we never left, everything is just the way we left it!" But then I got to thinking about it, and I don't know that that was necessarily the best thing. Like...it feels almost as if the characters haven't developed at all in the past ten years just because we haven't seen them. Unless you can call Rory now being kind of a promiscuous loser "character development". Like, I appreciate that they kept all the old Gilmore Girls charm, but it kind of felt like the whole town had been cryogenically frozen, only to be thawed out for a few hours in 2016. It sounds like I'm bashing it, but I'm really not. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole reboot, despite it's various flaws, and I think it came at just the right time. And I definitely think most Gilmore Girls fans will still enjoy it. But Amy and Dan Palladino's writing just felt a little dusty. That being said, here are some of the thoughts and observations I had while watching:


Image result for gilmore girls a year in the life jess
I mean come on. 
1. How is it possible for all three of the male love interests (four, if you include Luke, which really, you should) to have become more attractive over the past ten years?? Like...I never thought Logan was attractive at all in the original series-- he was like my least favorite "Rory Boyfriend". But wow...he has aged well. And Luke? That Rogaine really worked for him, so props. And Jess went from being the brooding bad boy to the sensible yet still mysterious and attractive friend. And Dean grew out of his old early 2000s shaggy sheepdog cuteness into an age appropriate father of two cuteness. I'm pleased.

3. WHY DID DEAN HAVE TO GET MARRIED??? I know this is not a new issue. He got married in the original series, I've had years to recuperate from this. But honestly. He was the ONE.

4. The Logan arc makes total sense. If I had messed up and thrown someone like Dean away, I'd probably still be clinging to some smuzzy socialite who's never going to actually commit to me too. Way to go Rory. You done goofed. I also think the Jess thing makes sense too. That they can just be friends now. And that Jess has matured.

5. Ugh, you'd think therapy might have helped Lorelei stop being such a selfish, self-centered jerk. You know, I commend Gilmore Girls for having a main character who is an awful person and yet surprisingly likable. It's kind of like Jane Austen's Emma. Except Emma eventually gave up her wily, insensitive ways. Lorelei will never stop being a Lorelei.

6. Luke will forever and always be the best character on the whole show. "NO MANBUNS" allowed in his diner? Giving everyone the wrong password to the WiFi because he can't stand millennial habits? Classic. Gotta love it.

7. Kirk and Paris were also perfect. Although what the heck, Paris did NOT need a man, and she definitely didn't need to go all weak in the knees when she saw her old high school crush! Paris is stronger than that! Paris could make Donald Trump cry! But as for Kirk, he was just as wacky and quirky and ridiculous as always, which makes sense for him, because let's be real: he wouldn't really progress in ten years since he has no goals and just wants to live with his mom forever.

8. Okay a lot of these scenes seem unnecessary. Why is there just a random musical dancing number at some wacky speakeasy fifteen minutes from Stars Hollow? And why did we need to Life or Death Brigade people back? I barely remember them from the original series and didn't develop any attachment to any of them...

9. The pop culture references are still on fleek, as always. And the various guest stars are appreciated. Except maybe Sutton Foster...I have something against her and I'm not sure why...maybe it's because everyone thinks she's such a talented singer and I just don't agree. Plus, why did she get like twenty minutes of screen time? That time could have been spent on something way better. Like...Dean sadly becoming a widower and getting back together with Rory...

10. Emily Gilmore giving history presentations at a Whale museum is my favorite thing ever. Like I think she definitely found her calling.
If Lorelei weren't so annoying, I might have to call them my OTP...

11. Ugh, Jess, put your arms away. And by "put your arms away", I mean "don't put you're arms away" because they're beautiful. You must have used the off-air time to work out at the gym, and I appreciate it.

12. Okay, I don't like pink and sparkles, but Luke and Lorelei's wedding was kind of perfect and beautiful. ALTHOUGH IT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED TEN YEARS AGO AND WE ALL KNOW IT.

13. So...basically Rory's pregnant with, presumably, Logan's baby, and since Logan is pretty much Rory's "Christopher", and Jess is pretty much Rory's "Luke", we're going to get a whole new version of Gilmore Girls that's basically exactly like the old one? I'm not complaining...

     So there you have it folks. I think overall I'd give "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" a solid 8 out of 10. There were definitely some kinks and flaws, but on the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't think it tarnished, in any way, the original series. In fact, I'm hoping it will lead to the series starting up again completely? One can only hope. Have a marvelous day.

-VaughnDL




Comments

Popular Posts