TOO MUCH TALENT

     So last night was the First Year Coffeehouse, which is basically like a talent show open for anyone to audition for. I thought about auditioning, but decided I wanted to enjoy the first one without the pressure of performing in front of people. Plus, I feel like so many people here are talented at singing because so many of us have grown up in church, singing or playing instruments, so being musical is kind of a norm here, and I didn't know if I'd stack up to everyone else. I'm really glad I got to be in the audience though because it was SO. AMAZING. I can't even describe to you in words how cool the experience was. I was right-- everyone here is unbelievable talented. It's almost overwhelming, but at the same time really cool. There were TONS of people in the audience, and they were all so supportive of everyone, clapping and cheering and yelling like every single act was the greatest thing they'd ever witnessed in their life. I include myself in this, because I was cheering and clapping like crazy for everyone. There wasn't a single act that wasn't great. Obviously there were some that were better than others, but there was nobody who could even remotely be considered bad or without talent. It was incredible. This one girl, Christine, got up on stage and beat-boxed. It was insane! And this little guy got up and sang a beautiful and totally powerful rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". He even got a standing ovation, he was so talented! Three of the people that performed were actually people from my orientation group, which was pretty wild. The girl that I've been hanging out with most during orientation activities, Shay, sang and played the ukulele, and she sounded really beautiful. Then this hilarious, snazzy guy from my group named Josh who always wears a colorful outfit with a coordinating fanny pack, got up and performed an original rap he wrote! IT WAS SO GOOD. He was "spitting fire" as the kids would say. He could seriously be the next Lecrae. He also kind of told a bit of his life story which was inspiring. The other person from my group is this guy named Ethan. You would never know by looking at Ethan how talented he is. That's not a bad thing! It's just that he looks so unassuming, not like a performer, maybe like an athlete, and he loves to read books (as we learned during one of those cheesy ice breaker games). But he got up there, sat down at the piano and ripped out this ASTOUNDING piano medley, of tons of songs from Star Wars to Heart and Soul to I don't even know what. I was speechless. And he was just so like "whatever" about it. I was blown away. Perhaps the crowd's favorite act of the whole night was this guy who did card tricks. I'm always skeptical of people when they say they're going to do magic, because some people are lame at it, or don't present it well or whatever. Plus, I just hate that they don't tell you how they do it! I know that's the whole point, but I just want to know. Like go ahead and show me the amazing tricks and all that, but then tell me how you did it okay? I like being spoiled by things. But anyway, he starts doing his card tricks, and he asked for five volunteers, and they all picked cards except the last girl who just THOUGHT of a car in her head. And of course, he got every. Single. Card. Right. LIKE HOW????????? And every single time he got another card, the crowd just screamed even louder. This one upperclassman guy who was sitting on the floor in front of us in the front row was going mental, it was hilarious. He was like "WHAT????  WHAT??!!?!?!!!" and throwing random things around in frustration like a piece of paper, his sunglasses, etc. IT was so great. This one guy played this BEAUTIFUL Latin guitar medley he wrote himself, the kind of guitar playing that's like super fast and all over the place. It was so good, probably one of my favorites. There were tons of other musical acts, all of which were good as well, but those were just the ones that stood out to me the most. The last act of the night was great too. This whole group of guys from one of the Res Halls, all dressed in black got up on stage, looking all intimidating, and did this like, caveman yelling chant thing all in unison, complete with chest and leg slapping and foot stomping. I know it's like something they do at the beginning of football and soccer games at some places but I have no idea what it's called...I'm trying to look it up on my phone but the WIFI HERE STINKS SO BAD I'M SORRY BUT IT DOES THERE I SAID IT. Apparently, it's a first year tradition for everyone on that particular floor. It was so intense and awesome, and okay, pretty darn hot. I said it. Anywaaaaayyyyyyyy it was such a great event, and I can't wait until the next one. And maybe I'll even audition one of these times. I took an obnoxious number of videos that filled up all the storage on my phone and forced me to have to upload them all to my laptop, and I wish I could somehow put them on here, but I'm not advanced enough to know how. Maybe I'll attempt to look that up too... Okay, I tried it, but I'm doubtful that it worked, and even if it did, I'm pretty sure that one video doesn't match up correctly, but whatever. I tried.

-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts