Church Camp Vibes

Letter from the previous inhabitants of B212.
     Last night, we had a Res Hall meeting, and we read letters from the girls that lived in our dorm rooms last year. It was reassuring to know that I wasn't going crazy every time I heard the weird, loud sound going through the wall every now and then, and to know that the HORRIBLE WIFI wasn't a new development. I can't wait till we get to write a letter to the girls who will be here next year! We also each got to paint a bluebird on this big banner, since we're on section 2B, and our theme is Bluebirds. After that, we met up with the other half of the floor and trekked up Cemetery Hill, which is this giant hill that overlooks the whole campus. It was dark outside, so all the lights on the buildings were twinkling, and the stars were out, and it was really pretty. Once we made it to the top of the hill, we all got into a huge circle and sang songs. We sang one I didn't know to start off with, and then we sang "Oceans" by Hillsong United, "Lord I Need You" by Matt Maher, "Cornerstone" by Hillsong Live, "Good, Good Father" by Chris Tomlin, and finally, "Amazing Grace". It was so beautiful. It was just another moment that made me remember why I chose this school. At no other place would a whole dorm floor of girls go up onto a hill to sing together. At no other place does everyone share the same values and the same essential beliefs. At no other place is there that camaraderie and community. It was honestly awe inspiring. A great way to end the day. When we were walking back to our dorm, we were talking about how honestly, so far, this whole college experience has just felt like church camp, and that's so true. But it's like, that's really cool to me! Everyone is here because they want to be, and they willingly participate in everything, from sports activities to singing together. When we got back to the dorm, me and the roomies just spontaneously decided to walk the halls and find the other triple rooms and see if they were the same size. As we were doing that, we just started peeping our heads into peoples' rooms, saying "hi", looking at all their decor, and talking to them. It was really fun! We met WAY more people that way than we did at the student block party!! We went in this one room and talked to these three girls that were all so funny we kept laughing and couldn't stop. The one girl was telling us about how she had a pet frog and when she came back from Africa, it just disintegrated! It was hilarious...probably SUPER hilarious since it was like midnight. Then we went into another room and talked to some girls for like fifteen minutes before realizing we hadn't even asked their names! Honestly, I've introduced myself to and been introduced to so many people, I don't remember half their names, but I still feel like I've gotten to know plenty of people on a deeper level than just their names, which I think is what really matters.
My little bluebird. I made him out of an ugly black splotch someone left
from a previous year. 

     This morning I woke up and chilled in the room until it was time for me to catch my bus to church. This church called Slate Hill Mennonite Church sent me a letter in the mail like a week before move in day inviting me to come, and I thought that was really nice of them, so I decided to check it out. It's also the church that a lady from my home church used to go to, and apparently, my grandma went there too!! Small, small world. When we got off the bus, I introduced myself to two girls, Mandy and Brittany (SE is so right about the initials thing. For now, with so many names, I'll just write them out). Mandy is an upperclassmen, but Brittany was a freshman, so we kind of latched on to each other and sat next to each other during service and Sunday school, (and went to the bathroom together, LOL). She was really nice, and super pretty. She went to the same camp I did when I was little, and she's been a counselor there for several years too! She's also from a really small Mennonite Church, and she lives a half hour south of Frederick, so we even live in the same state. So much weirdness.
Part of the Res Hall banner. 

     I enjoyed the church. It wasn't North Side Mennonite Church, but I know I have to try to keep myself from comparing everything to there, because I'll never ever find a place exactly like my beloved little church. So I just have to take stock of any new church's qualities on their own, and not compared to North Side. The people were friendly, and the preacher was good, and the singing was amazing. Gotta love those a Capella Mennonite four part harmonies. It was also nice because they had a mix of hymns and contemporary songs, which is the way I like it. The Sunday school class was nice too. We just kind of got to know everyone and then watched a trailer for a video series we're going to start in a week or so, but the other students, and the teachers were all nice and welcoming, so it wasn't super awkward. After Sunday School, the bus we were supposed to ride back to school broke down, so me and Brittany had to ride in the car with three upperclassmen girls, but they were all really friendly, so it was fine. I think I'm gonna go back next week, and I think if Brittany keeps going, we could become "church friends". Overall, it was a good experience. Now I'm about to go to orientation for my work study job, so I'm kinda nervous for that since I've never had a (real) job before. But we'll see what happens. I pick things up quickly. Anyway, I guess that's all for now.

-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts