The 5th Wave!

     I love snow days. Best thing to ever happen to humanity. Just kidding. But they are pretty awesome. Today MF, DL, and I went to see The 5th Wave because we were all going stir-crazy in our own separate homes and just needed to get out of the house and have actual social interaction. I had read the book and really liked it but I didn't have very high expectations for the movie. I think that's the key: to have super low expectations because when I have low expectations for a movie, I always end up loving it. The 5th Wave was super intense the whole way through and even though I knew what was going to happen, it still surprised me. It was a little gory at times and made me cringe a little bit and by the end of the movie the three of us had shrunken way down in our seats and were just peering over top of the seats in front of us. Haha. It was the perfect movie to see on a snow day because it was about the end of the world and it has kind of felt like the world is ending over the last few days, what with grocery stores running out of bread and milk and no one being able to leave their houses and the roads pretty empty and schools closed. I would like to think that I would survive the apocalypse, but to be honest, I think if a massive tsunami wave taller than the empire state building came tumbling up to my house, I would just lay down and let myself drown. Ain't no way anyone's gonna outrun that ish. At the same time, I can be an extremely stubborn person so if I made up my mind that I was going to survive something terrible, I think I could force myself to stay alive (to an extent). I don't think I could kill someone though. Unless it was one of those either-I-kill-you-or-you-kill-someone-I-love situations, in which case I supposed I would have the heart to kill someone. That's such an abstract, crazy concept though that I could never accurately predict what I would actually do if that were to happen. So let's just hope that the end of the world doesn't come any time soon and that the aliens out there hold off invading our planet for just a little bit longer.
     One thing that I thought was kind of cool in the movie was that they used a Coldplay song as a lullaby. It was a hokey moment, but Cassie's little brother was like "Sing me a song" and she started singing some song and at first it just sounded like mumbling but then I recognized it and I was like "I know that song!" to DL and proceeded to annoy her for the next two minutes by singing parts of it and spewing off the first song titles that came to my head until I realized it was a Coldplay song. I thought it was called "Empty" because many, many years ago I thought that Chris Martin was singing "We live in a beautiful world, MD, MD" and I thought that it was just the coolest thing that this British singer would give a shout-out to my home state...turns out he was saying "empty". So I thought that that was the title of the song but it's called "Don't Panic" and once I realized that I was like "Oh, duh." Anyway, it's a good song, but definitely not a fitting lullaby and super foreshadowing: "Bones sinking like stones/all that we've fought for/homes, places we've grown/all of us are done for". Cute.



Day 793 Song Recommendation: Bad news. I already "Don't Panic". The struggle of having recommended 792 songs. Instead I'll recommend "Elastic Heart" by Sia.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts