Snow Day Philosophies

     First of all, I absolutely loved AB's post today: it was exactly what I needed to read right now, and it inspired me a lot, so hopefully at some point I will write a post inspired by some of the things she said and what they meant to me. But for now, I've been rotting on my butt reading, writing, watching YouTube, and listening to obnoxious techno music for the last three hours, so I'm kind of drained from doing all that nothing. I told MF and SE earlier today that when I'm really bored, I get moody and philosophical. Usually this is just super annoying because sometimes you just don't FEEL like contemplating life and death and the universe, but you're bored little brain is like "NO, you must think about these things right now! Analyze all your personal beliefs and convictions right this very second! I don't care if you're wearing pajamas and in the middle of eating pretzels. The time for philosophy is RIGHT NOW." But sometimes thinking deeply about things I don't feel like thinking about most of the time actually results in some interesting things, most specifically, some pretty cool pieces of poetry, or mini-essays, or stories. So I shall now share with you something that I typed groggily into my iPhone notes last night at like 10:30 right before I slipped off into the abyss of sleep:


"I don't like when they call it a love life. As if, by not really having one, I'm missing this whole other existence of myself. But I've never felt like I'm missing anything at all. Especially when I look around me and see how horrible most people's "love lives" are anyway. I mean, if your ACTUAL life were that crappy, you wouldn't just put up with it. If your mother treated you the way your boyfriend does, you'd move out of the house. If your boss talked to you the way your girlfriend does, you'd turn in your resignation right now. But anyway, I think they should change the name. It should be called a "love hobby". And then if you eventually get married, it could then be called a "love career". Similar to the way that sometimes your hobbies and passions actually become your job (in the most ideal cases, that is.) Calling it a "love life" makes it seem like you're dead if you don't have one, and that every time someone breaks up with you, they're killing you, and if YOU break up with THEM, well then goodness, you've committed suicide. I think they call it a "life" because they're prone to melodrama. Because they think that romance is the pinnacle of everything good and perfect and wonderful. And I think that's a little absurd. We can be far more ambitious than that. 
Some of my favorite lyrics from one
of my favorite songs. 
Also, I'm not sure why people find it necessary to inquire about my "love life". Especially if they're not going to first inquire as to what book I'm currently reading, or how the blog is going, or if I've made any particularly groovy crafts recently. Because if and when I DO have this magical "love life" that everyone is so obsessed with, I can assure you that it will not overshadow the OTHER aspects of my ACTUAL life. When you meet a new friend, people don't feverishly ask you all about them. When you get a new baby cousin, or someone new joins your church, people don't gossip about them over the Thanksgiving table. But they're as much apart of your life as a boyfriend or girlfriend would be. Maybe it's just different because a baby cousin doesn't give you heart-sparkles in the same way as a boyfriend. But still. Am I just naive in thinking that a boyfriend shouldn't overtake your entire existence? That they shouldn't replace all your interests and aspirations and duties and convictions? Because if I AM just naive, and boyfriends really DO overshadow the whole of your existence, then you can count me out of the dating game-- of the "love life" club-- all together. Because I don't want that at all. I don't NEED another "life" because I have one already and it's completely great and wonderful. You can keep your "love life" and I'll keep my "regular old life" thank you very much." 

-VaughnDL

Comments

Popular Posts