Senioritis to the Max

     I don't know what to blog about today lalala. AP, DL, and I (along with AP's little brother) went sledding today and it was lots of fun. Nothing like the unbridled screams of joyous terror that goes with sledding. It started snowing pretty hard for a little bit when we were there, so that was cool. Today was the only time I was glad my school was on a massive hill. AP's brother was the only one brave enough to go off the jump someone had built but after her went off the third or fourth time, his shoe and hat flew off upon landing and he decided he'd had enough so we went home.
     Then I came home and tried to be productive and was mildly successful. I know that any stress I have is the cause of my own procrastination but old habits die hard. And we still have the whole weekend! I am positively dreading going back to school because I know all of my teachers are going to be in freak-out mode and are going to want to full-throttle it and my brain is so rusty at this point that I doubt I could add or spell my own name. I exaggerate. But I do not want to go back. I think now is the perfect time to drop out, pack up the car, and drive to California. Now that would be an education. Just think about all of the things you'd learn from a cross-country road trip (or any road trip): how to read a map, how to budget a trip, how to rent a hotel, where you can legally sleep in your car, how to optimize the junk-carrying capacity of your trunk...so much more useful than whatever dull gibberish I'm fed on a daily basis. I just don't get it sometimes. The school thing. I can take a derivative but I can't balance a checkbook. I can spell onomatopoeia but I have no idea what a 401k is. I can calculate the molar heat of formation of a chemical compound but I can't tell you my social security number. And yeah, I know, these are things that I have the ability to teach myself. And things that I'll learn when I need to. But I think to some extent the whole "preparing you for real life" thing is bogus. So many of my teachers have prepared me to ace their tests. That's fine. It looks great on my report card. But it doesn't actually help me. I know that for someone who wants to be a teacher I have a lot of complaints about the education system. I just hope that I will teach kids the stuff that matters as well as the stuff that will get them into college or get them good jobs. Because those are not mutually exclusive. I guess I've just had too much time away from school. I need to go back to get my daily dose of brainwashing. This senioritis is getting out of control. 

Day 797 Song Recommendation: "The Stable Song" by Gregory Alan Isakov. Thanks to DL for the song rec.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts