Why Texting Is O.K.

     Friends are great. Sometimes I feel lazy for spending hours texting my friends (whether in group texts (which are so addictive) or individually) but I mean, how else am I going to know what random (but delightfully exciting) things are happening to my friends when I don't get to see them every day anymore? It would be awful to have to catch up on three months worth of happenings once school starts again, and besides, I would miss everyone too much. So as lazy as texting is, it's nice to be able to keep up with people I genuinely enjoy talking to over the summer, and just in general. People (mostly old people) complain that texting is "ruining our generation" but I don't see why or how it's worse than phone calls. I've had some pretty intellectual textual conversations. This blog is a textual conversation! I do think that texting can be a lot more easily abused than phone calls because of the ability to send photos and videos through text, and also the ability to text just about anywhere and not be a disruption. But I don't think texting is ruining the English language. Everyone I text uses proper English and avoids shortcuts like "ur" "brb" and other lazy abbreviations. And honestly, texting is a lot better than phone calls because you can choose when you talk to someone via text and that way you can give them your full attention without being "put out" by having to talk to them at an inconvenient time. But like anything in the 21st century (or any other century, for that matter) moderation is key and I'm still working out that "just right" mark. But for now, I'm glad I have such funny, good people to talk to at the tap of a key.

Day 581 Song Recommendation: "Janglin'" by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts