Beautiful Small Yards

     After spending two hours weeding today and hating every minute of it, I have determined that I will never have a big yard unless I'm so rich that I can afford to hire a gardener (but we all know, teachers are never rich). Small yards are so cute and you can do so much with a small yard and you can keep it looking fantastic without spending eons weeding, mowing, trimming, planting, whacking, and spraying. Here are some of my favorite small yards:


23 small yard design solutions | Chic for less | Sunset.com this gives me a feel of spain meets morocco meets france
This one is probably my favorite. I love that almost all of the plants are in pots. No weeding! It still looks really natural and home-y, despite there being no grass. It's not optimal for kid-playing or dog-owning, but for a person with no kids and no pets, it would be fantastic.

This may in fact be the perfect modern design for a small, narrow backyard
Again, this yard manages to look earthy without grass in it. The layout is nice with the sitting area and then the eating area and whatever that thing is between the two. There would be little to no weeding, what with most of the greenery being shrubs and all of the flower beds being covered in gravel. However, some serious pruning would need to be happening to keep all those shrubs looking "on point", as the kids say these days.

This outdoor room looks expensive. but that's just what the homeowner wants you to think. Inexpensive building materials such as gravel, cinder blocks, and pressure-treated wood form the backbone of the design. Tile backboard and salvaged plywood, stained a soft blue and attached to a custom frame, give the tiny yard privacy.
Yet another yard with no grass! This yard is by far the least amount of work. All of the plants are potted, there are no large shrubs (except for the ivy or whatever growing on the wall), and the entire yard is either stones or wood. I love how easy and cozy this yard looks, especially with that feathery pale green tree off to the side.

You can have a small yard and it still be BEAUTIFUL!
Finally a yard with some grass! I love that all of the grass is contained in a small rectangle- super easy to mow. The flower beds could definitely be time consuming, but if you plant enough flowers maybe that would minimize the weeds' chance to grow. This yard reminds me of an English garden, especially with the old stone house and wrought iron fence.

Great use of space for a square or rectangular backyard. Expand this look for our backyard landscape
This yard is my least favorite but is probably what I would actually wind up doing with my yard simply because it would be super cheap (stone, wood, and pavement get expensive) and also would still give enough room for dogs or kids to play (kind of). And as much as I love the utility of a grass-less yard, I do like grass simply because it makes it feel like an actual yard. I like the hodge-podge mixture of plants, although I'm not sure what's going on on the right where there's just some gray gravel or something. I think there might be a gate there, but I would definitely put some mulch or pretty stones there instead of whatever they have. Also not sure what's up with the weird-shaped bush/tree in the pot in the center of the yard... but okay.

Day 583 Song Recommendation: "Blood Bank" by Bon Iver.

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts