Habits

     SE talked about habits the other day and how we might think those little things we do all the time are completely unique to us, but that they're really not. Just to piggy back off of her a little bit, I'm going to talk about some of my habits. For one thing, I chew the inside of my cheeks. According to SEs research, this is an actual disorder. My mom does this too, so I guess it must also kind of be hereditary. Honestly I don't consider this a BAD habit because even though it sounds like it might be painful, it really isn't, and most of the time when I do it, I don't even notice. Another habit I have is that I crack my thumbs. It's another one of those things that sounds painful but isn't, and sounds like an annoying habit, but doesn't really bother me. Sometimes I'm more aware of it than other times, and then it can kind of get on my nerves, but usually I just think of it as a harmless little tick. Another tick of mine is a habit that coincidentally enough, when I was little, I actually called it "ticking". All it is is that I always run my fingernails along the hems of things, especially blankets or pillowcases or bedsheets. I don't know why, but it's something I've done since I was a tiny little kid, and it's a habit I don't think I'll ever break. This one is harmless too for the most part except that sometimes I do it so much that the inside of my fingernail gets really sore, and then I have to refrain from "ticking" with that finger for a while. You know, now that I've started listing these things I feel like I kind of sound like someone with really mild Tourette's  syndrome. Usually people with Tourette's have habits and ticks that are kind of painful though, and I don't have that. Anyway, I think those are all of my body related habits. Except maybe that when I taste a new food, I do this weird thing where like, I somehow move my throat? I don't even know how to describe it but it's kind of weird and I get made fun of for it, haha. I don't know why I do it. 
     A non body related habit I have is that I repeat the same stories over and over again and I can never remember who I told what. This one really bothers me because I always feel like it must be annoying for my friends and family to hear me tell them the same exact things over and over again. I've asked my friends and family members this before though, and they've all said they dont really notice or think about it! So it's a habit that annoys me more than it annoys anyone else. Which is really the point that SE was getting across in her blog post. That to you it's a really prevalent and obvious habit in your life, but most people don't even know about it, let alone get annoyed by it. So just keep that in mind. At the same time though, if it's a habit that you feel is really destructive to your health or wellbeing, don't overlook it or think it will go away. Habits can be really dangerous if you don't get Help. Well, this blog post turned out kind of random, but I hope you enjoyed hearing about my habits. Have a great day. It's so beautiful outside, I might just go out there and sit a while. 


-VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts