Yulin Kuang

     Here's a film recommendation for you. Crazy, I know. The movie blogger actually blogging about something movie related. Well, this isn't quite a movie recommendation, but it's definitely film and media related so it feels fitting to recommend. It's the YouTube channel of Yulin Kuang. Yulin writes and directs short films and mini YouTube series, and they're all really cool! Like I feel like if I were to ever get into the film world I would want to create content in the same style and realm as her. Much of it is literary based, such as her series "I Didn't Write This" in which she sets to film her personal interpretation of poems and prose excerpts. She also does original works, usually 15-20 minute films that she's written and directed herself, usually coming of age teenage stuff like "I Ship It", "The Perils of Growing Up Flat Chested" and "First Kiss". I feel like her mini films are the movie equivalent of short stories or novellas. Besides her little movie novellas, she also does a series called "Thinking Out Loud" which is basically exactly what it sounds like-- her thoughtful insights playing background to films clips. Anyway, she has such an incredible variety of content that's it's really refreshing, and in some ways she sort of reminds me of myself and my writing. I've really been enjoying her stuff as its so completely off the beaten path as far as YouTube goes, and I thought you might share in my admiration. Here's one of my favorite pieces by her, called "Letters to July" in which real kids read letters they've written to or about the month of July. I love this video so much because it summarizes every child's experience of summer in such a tangible and relatable way. Apparently this project was inspired by a YouTube series by another channel, but I just love Yulin's approach to it. I hope you like it, and if you do make sure to go check out the rest of her material and subscribe to her amazing channel!
-VaughnDL



Comments

Popular Posts