My Thoughts on Loyola University, MD

     The campus at Loyola was very interesting and I guess it was architecturally beautiful, but I didn't get any warm fuzzies walking around. I had low expectations going in. I knew it wasn't going to be a very diverse campus, and that was confirmed pretty quickly. It seemed like the majority of the population was basic white girls from New Jersey (you know, the North Face jacket-wearing, Starbucks drinking, boots-and-leg-warmers type) and I just have a really hard time relating to those interests. The girl who spoke to us on the bus ride from where we parked at the cathedral to the school had a very grating, high pitched Jersey voice and it was not very pleasant. Obviously I wasn't going to judge the whole school on one person though. After an hour of sitting in a snazzied-up gym, watching Loyola's promotional video and listening to boring speeches, the students were ripped from their parents and taken in groups to various panels, where we listened to more Loyola students talk. The admissions counselor who was also a student there was really annoying. The other people were fine, but I did not like her. After however long of that boringness, we were reunited with our parents and led to an information session. By this time, I knew Loyola was not for me. But I still wanted to go on the tour, just in case, and to look around and see the dorms so that I could compare the campus to other schools. Our tour guide was nice and knowledgeable and all, but the tour was just really boring and I was ready to leave. I really couldn't have cared less about all the information the tour guide was spouting at me. After the tour, my mom and I took a shuttle bus back to our car and got some Chipotle's before heading home.
     Overall, there was no one thing that made me dislike Loyola. It just didn't feel like somewhere I wanted to spend four years of my life. It felt too small, too homogenous, and too much like high school all over again. I'm glad I went though, because I saved $60 on an application and now I know what I don't want out of a college and I have one more college to compare other colleges to. Next weekend: UMBC. 
Day 484 Song Recommendation: "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac.
-SE Wagner



Comments

Popular Posts