My Current Obsession: Mary Kate Wiles

Mary Kate Wiles and Sean Persaud in I Ship It
     So a few days ago I posted about the amazing short film writer/director Yulin Kuang. Now today I'm posting about Mary Kate Wiles, who is an actress (mainly on YouTube) who has done a lot of work with Yulin, and who I am currently obsessed with, along with Yulin. I first saw Mary Kate Wiles in The Lizzie Bennett Diaries as Lydia, and honestly, I didn't really like her. I guess I just assumed that she was like Lydia in real life, and since Lydia annoyed me, I figured Mary Kate would annoy me too, so I kind of steered clear of her. Then I saw her in I Ship It and Squaresville and I Didn't Write This and Kissing in the Rain before I knew about Yulin Kuang, and I still wasn't all that thrilled with her as an actor. I think I was just highly prejudiced since I never liked the character of Lydia and that's the first exposure I had to Mary Kate's talents. But after watching just about all of Yulin Kuang's work, which features Mary Kate a lot, I started to soften a bit towards her. The straw that finally broke my prejudice against her was when I watched her pod cast style vlog show "Craftversations" with Yulin Kuang. It was my first experience seeing Mary Kate as herself instead of as a character in a film or video series, and I finally realized that her personality in real life is so different from any of the characters she plays. She's incredibly intelligent (whereas she often plays ditzy girls) and she's soooo nice (whereas she often plays very mean characters) and she has a really good head on her shoulders (whereas she often plays characters who make destructive decisions or lovesick vengeful girls who don't think before they act).
     After watching the first edition of Craftversations, I decided to revisit some of the things she acted in with a fresh point of view. I re watched her entire season of Kissing in the Rain and rewatched I Ship It. I also watched her 2015 Film Reel and clips of the work she did on the feature film Bridge and Tunnel. By the time I was done I was completely obsessed. She's a really good actress and incredibly versatile, and even if I don't necessarily like all the characters she plays, I know for a fact now that her personality in real life is nothing like anybod her characters. She's so sweet and down to earth and really smart. She's currently one of my favorite people and I can't wait to see all the awesome work she does in the future. Here are links to some of the channels she's worked on along with her tumblr account. Make sure to check her out and hopefully become as obsessed as I am. 



- VaughnDL




Comments

Popular Posts