The Maze Runner Book Review

     I finally finished The Maze Runner! Yay yay yay! It was a good book, but I think it could have used another round of editing. It dragged in some places and was often repetitive, especially when Thomas was talking about the complexity of his memory loss, and his desire to ask questions. Sometimes I just wanted to say, we get it. Move on. And while the book as a whole was kind of predictable, there were some surprising twists and turns (like how the characters were named after famous smart people (Ably after Albert Einstein, Newt after Isaac Newton, Thomas after Thomas Eddison, Chuck after Charles Darwin) and the whole "the maze is a code" thing)). It did have a bit of a formulaic approach to it. You knew before it happened that there would be the big battle and the heroic sacrifice. And overall, I didn't find Thomas to be that wonderful of a character. He was kind of annoying and all "Oh look at me, I'm so brave, I'm going to save you all." And I couldn't have cared less if Teresa died. Overall, I just felt like the characters were too stereotypical, and the plot could have had a bit more complexity, or at least not dragged on to the grand finale for so long. HOWEVER, I still enjoyed reading it, and it was an easy read, and a total page-turner at the end. And I still want to see the movie (turns out it's still showing in another theater nearby).
Totally looks like they're holding hands.
     Overall, I give The Maze Runner a 4 out of 5. I feel like it's one of those books written with the hope of being made into a movie. And I feel like the movie, for once, will actually be better than the book. Not that the book was bad. I just think the movie will be better.
     Am I the only one who's super fascinated with what movies look like before they're all prettied up? It's amazing how the right camera angle, decent lighting, and good editing can change everything.

Day 335 Song Recommendation: "Jars" by Chevelle. This would be a good song for one of the running scenes in the Maze (there would be a lot of those). "We can’t both become the same pawn/That's made to fall/Oil that tastes like blood" (The Gladers are pawns of the Creators, the Grievers are made of oil, not blood. A+ for the literature/music connection, SE.)
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts