Irrational Human Nature

    I have this theory about some of the people I dislike. I think a lot of the time, the reason I don't like someone is because they're really similar to me. I know that sounds terrible. I don't dislike myself, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is sometimes I look at a person, realize they have a lot of similarities to me-- they're almost like, a better version of myself-- and it makes me mad. Because I'm supposed to be the best version of myself, and they're just doing me so much better.
    For example. There's this girl that I know who wears really cute clothes. Like obnoxiously cute. Like they're the type of clothes I would wear, except she's skinny, and prettier than me and so the boho thrift store look works so much better on her, and it ticks me off. Then there's this other girl that I know who is really passionate about something she does and isn't afraid to talk about how good she is at this thing, and it annoys me, because I know I'm the same exact way about things I'm passionate about. Like, I love to talk about my love for writing in the same way that this girl loves to talk about her love for this one class we have together. Lastly, there's this other girl I know who laughs really loud and really often about stuff that's really not that funny. And I do the EXACT same thing a lot of the time. Yet somehow, it really bothers me when she does it.
My reaction to people I don't like. (As you can see, I'm obsessing
over Reign right now. It's a great show, go watch it.)
     Am I a crazy person? I don't know. There's always this complex of "If you weren't you, would you be friends with you?" and the answer for me is no. Because girls who are like me annoy me! I don't know why. If I see someone walking down the hall in vintage-y thrift-y clothes, I roll my eyes at her. If I read the writing of someone else my age, I instantly dislike it, because I'm supposed to be the teen writer that everyone likes. No one else! If I hear someone talking in the same loud, brassy way that I tend to talk, I think they're being obnoxious and annoying. And all these things are proof that if I saw myself walking down the street, I would smirk at myself and turn away.
     I can't be the only one who thinks this way. That's why opposites attract right? Because if someone is too similar to us, then it's just annoying. We feel like we have to compare ourselves to that person and come out on top. Or we try to stake a claim or secure a specific reputation that's not supposed to be shaken by anyone else. Like I said, I'm the "writer", and I don't like it when other people try to come in on my territory, as selfish as that sounds.
     But this kind of mentality is really flawed, because we base our dislike of someone solely on the things in them that are similar to ourselves, when if we really got to know them, we'd realize how different we were. But we don't make the attempt because we're too busy being annoyed at them for "copying" us or being like us.
    Sigh, it's one of those things we'll never be able to kick as humans. It's just part of human nature to be jealous or angered by certain people for very petty reasons. I just wish sometimes I could get past these stumbling blocks in my own personality and be less judgmental of people just because they're "too much like me". Because who knows, I could be missing out on some great friendships because of it.

TV Series Recommendation: Reign. I talked a bit about this show earlier this week as a "To Be Seen" recommendation. And now that I've seen it (What better use of my sick day than abnormal television consumption??) I can confirm that it's totally awesome. Not only is the main male character super freaking attractive (that's the guy in the gif above, Toby Regbo who plays King Francis), and all the actors super amazing, but the entire show is just mindblowingly good. It's a fantastical account of the real life Mary Queen of Scots, with revamped costuming, badass portrayals of formerly 2D characters, and scandal out the wazoo. I certainly recommend it. I know I already posted the trailer for it, so instead here's an interview with three of the main characters:
                       -VaughnDL 

Comments

Popular Posts