What Is An Extraordinary Life?

We have officially survived the first three days of high school. I know that I didn't post the first day of school and that was because I was so busy and I really just wanted to sit down and read my book which didn't happen until late at night yesterday. I actually think that this is going to be a good year. I miss my brother like crazy, it's only been one day. Not even a full day. At least I love a lot of my teachers. I feel like my english teacher and I are going to get along since his favorite movie is Batman. If you love Batman we are automatically friends. Anyway about the second day of school we walked into the classroom and saw this quote on the whiteboard.

Of course we sat there and stared at this quote until my teacher asked us what this quote meant to us and what we eventually got down to was that there are people out there who can live extraordinary lives and by them living those beautiful lives we somehow benefit from it. For example I think that we can all agree that Steve Jobs lived an extraordinary life. He created Apple, lost apple, created Pixar and then got Apple back. How many people today use Apple products and how amazed were people when the first Apple products came out? We all agreed that even though Steve Jobs wasn't exactly a nice person he did some amazing things with his life.
After that my teacher asked if we agreed the quote? Should we share our talents or taking chances when it comes to living life. There are so many ways to define an extraordinary life. Some people would love to be celebrities and drive fast expensive cars when others would just like to be able to live long enough to see their grandchildren. I do think that we should take chances and share our stories with other people. Some can benefit from it. My teacher eventually told the story about his grandfather. How he grew up with nothing got married and moved to America to start a new life. He worked everyday to provide for his wife and children. When comparing Steve Jobs and my teachers grandfather I truly believe that the grandfather lived a better life. Even though Jobs did help the world he may not have done it the right way. I am not claiming that I know anything about Steve Jobs but we all know that he was extremely rude to people and fired people who had helped him get to the top. My teachers grandfather worked hard and was loved by many. You can't deny that he didn't face obstacles being a Italian immigrant who didn't speak English when he moved to America. I can imagine that he and his wife were not really accepted. He had lived an extraordinary life. Did he make a computer that would change the world? No but he did do something brave and I really wish that I could sit down and have a conversation with him.
I said in one post that I just wanted to be happy, whatever that is. I just typed that not really thinking anything of it. I now realize that it does have some meaning. We all have a different definition of what happiness is which is why I think it's so ridiculous that we have so many books on the topic of how to find happiness when really we all have it inside of us. Maybe the sadness or hard times are pushing it away.
Like Augustus Waters I used to believe that if you were to be truly loved you had to be loved by everyone. Now looking back I realize how wrong we were. You don't have to do something really big with your life to live a 'good life.' You have what you have and I have been very blessed to live the life that I live and yet some days I still find things to complain about. Things that I don't deserve to complain about. At my funeral one day I don't want people to talk about how much money I made, the grades I got or how many friends I had I want them to talk about how much I loved life and all the cheesy stories that me, my family and friends had.
Be grateful for what you have.
DFTBA
-AB
There is no reason for this it
just made me really happy.
I cannot wait for fall!

Comments

Popular Posts