Away!

     I have a feeling that I won't get a chance to post tomorrow (today) so I'm writing this now (yesterday).
     I love airports.
     Okay, no, I like airports. I mean, let's be honest, there's a lot of hurry-up-and-wait and security checks and impatient people. But I love how many people there are and how you can imagine where all of them are going and why is that person running? and I wonder where he's from? and that looks extremely uncomfortable to wear on a plane. Those kinds of things. Basically, I like the prime-time people-watching. I'm sure that if I went to airports more often the novelty would wear off, but as it is, I find them fascinating. Except not so much at very early hours of the morning like tomorrow (today).
     The one thing I don't like about airports is waiting at your gate. That's the least fun part. Because you just sit there and there aren't usually that many interesting people to watch until a few minutes before boarding, and by then you've already been there for like, an hour, and you don't really feel like reading because it's just not a very reader-friendly environment, so you just sit there watching everyone else around you find a way to entertain themselves while you're bored out of your mind. At least, that's how it goes for me.
     And then planes are fun for maybe like, half an hour, but then they get kind of boring and stuffy and crampy and they always seem to put on the seat belt sign when you REALLY have to pee, so then you have to get your mom to ask the flight attendant lady if it's okay for your daughter to get up to relieve herself because she's going to pee herself if she doesn't go RIGHT NOW. (True story, embellished for your reading pleasure.)
     So when it gets really boring, you can always flip through the airline catalogue, which has a bunch of overpriced, useless, random items no one wants to buy unless they've been starved of intellectual stimulation for long periods of time at high altitudes. Or you could always look at the handy dandy in-case-of-emergency guide they tuck into the seats for your paranoia- I mean, information. Actually, I don't get paranoid at those pamphlets, I just laugh. Because they look kind of ridiculous. Like, if this plane is going to crash into the ocean, ain't nobody going to have time to remember safety steps one through fourteen. They just gonna freak out and start screaming and run out of oxygen and die. Not to be morbid or anything. And there's always the possibility the plane will crash land on a possessed island occupied by psychos and monsters and pregnant-lady-kidnappers (cough cough, talkin' 'bout you, "Lost"). But yeah, mostly I'll just read and listen to music and laugh at the crying baby three rows back who my dad may or may not want to slip a hefty dose of sleeping pills to.
     And then the plane will land and we'll drive to our destination and I'll be super grumpy and tired and unappreciative of how beautiful it is and I'll go to sleep and wake up and be like, "Woah, how'd I get here? What's this? Wow, wow."

Day 241 Song Recommendation: "Away!" by From Indian Lakes. I've been waiting to recommend this song for just this occasion, when I'm really going away!
-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts