Purpose

     Today I'm going to talk about something that I wanted to talk about a while back. So last week, I was out thrift shopping with my Mom and my Mom's cousin, and we were at Goodwill (quite possibly the biggest Goodwill I've ever been at!!!) and there was this sign with a picture of a Down Syndrome man on it, and at the top it said "Goodwill gave me purpose". Now, if you don't know, Goodwill uses the proceeds of their shops to help out special needs people to find jobs and improve their quality of life and stuff, which is pretty cool. But for some reason, that sign really bothered me. I kept thinking "No, Goodwill didn't give you purpose. You have purpose because you are a human being". I don't know, it just ate at me for like, the whole day. Sure, Goodwill probably set this man up with a nice job and made him feel happy about having a job and stuff, but Goodwill did not give him his purpose. Everyone in the world has purpose, and it doesn't come from some non-profit organization. It comes from being born into a big scary world, and not instantly keeling over and dying at the first sign of trouble. I mean, we take our lives for granted, and think we are nothing, but this thing we call life? It's incredible. There are a million ways to die, and there are a million things that could make a person feel discouraged. But what do we do? We somehow manage to avoid those things, put those things behind us on a daily basis, and that's unbelievable. And it's no different for someone with a special need or a handicap. You have purpose because you are you. Not because of anything else. I wish I could find that man on the Goodwill poster and tell him that. Tell him how special he is, not because of Goodwill, but just because of who he is as a person.

Movie Recommendation: Simon Birch. 
            -VaughnDL  

Comments

Popular Posts