Passion

"7" Day 22: I have been very very bad lately. Things are not going well. I mean honestly, potato chips do NOT count as potato, and monkey bread, despite having "bread" in the title, does not count as bread. Sorry God.

     Let's talk about passion. I think it is very inspiring all the different things there are out there that are the result of someone's passion. I mean, look at cancer research for instance: the only way we've come as far as we have is because of all the people out there who's lives are dedicated to finding a cure for cancer. Their hearts and souls are filled with undying passion for developing groundbreaking medicine to save lives. That's really cool. Sometimes though, we can look at all these revolutionary things that people have created, and look at our own passions and feel inferior. For example, my life's passion is writing. But writing will never save someone suffering from a fatal disease, and that's discouraging. I want to help people, but sometimes it seems like the gifts I've been given can't be used to do that. But that's not exactly true. My passion is words, and even though words don't do the same things as scalpels and medications, words can comfort, and sooth and entertain, and aren't those things helpful too? Isn't it true that there are books out there that have changed lives, even if it's a more internal change than a physical one? For example, the book Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman helped me become much more understanding and sympathetic to the issue of women's rights in India, and the book Christy by Catherine Marshall has been a constant source of spiritual enlightenment for me, because every time I read it, it makes me think very seriously about my relationship with God. So sometimes books do change lives, even save lives in a sense. That's what keeps me going, and keeps me from giving up on my passion: knowing that my words could have the effect on someone else that some words have had on me. 
     No matter what you are passionate about, it's not unhelpful, it's not pointless. Any gift you have been given, any interest you have can be used to contribute to the greater good, and you shouldn't give up on the things you love just because you don't think they will help people. Where there's a will, there's a way right? If it is your will to help people, and you are passionate about, say, fashion design, you could use that passion to make clothing for impoverished children, or use the proceeds of your designs to give money to charities. Helping people is easy and important, and holding tight to your passions is just as important too.

Movie Recommendation: True Grit. 

                          -VaughnDL


Comments

Popular Posts