Freakin' Out

VBS Day 4: Too much, too much. Let's just not go here today, okay? Okay, cool.
    Actually, you know what, I haven't eaten dinner yet, so I'm going to go do that, and then I will be back with some really amazing content.*
    Wow, that was way too spicy. I combined my mom's spicy faucet (what? No, autocorrect, I said sauce. My mom's spicy sauce. Not faucet) left over from yesterday's fish tacos with some leftover rice, only the sauce to rice ratio was not the best if you want to be able to actually taste your food. 
Anyway, I guess I can tell you a bit about VBS. So the craft was to make an aquarium out of a water bottle, water, some food coloring, oil, four plastic fishes, sparkles, some rocks, and some shells. It was pretty messy. My fingers were blue, oily, and sparkly by the end of it. After story time, a kid asked me to fix his flip flop and I was like "Oh, you just pop it back in" but he was like "I'm not strong enough. I can't do it!" So he made me do it and his flip flop smelled so bad I washed my hands afterwards. I'm sorry, I know that's mean, but it smelled like I was rubbing my fingers in dog poo. No offense to the kid. 
     At snack time, we had cupcakes and the cupcakes were decorated like little beaches with blue icing for the water and a big gummy fish in it, with graham cracker crumbs as the beach and little paper umbrellas. They were pretty adorable. And there were extras, so the teens got to have some. 
    So that was VBS today, pretty much. 

     So I've been thinking about college a lot lately, even though I know it's premature. I've probably said it before, but I'm a planner. I like to have everything neatly planned out so that there are no surprises and I know just how everything is going to go. Well, I've been discovering that "education" is a very broad field and pretty much no one offers a degree in plain ole "education". You have to pick elementary or secondary, or secondary English, or secondary social sciences, or English as a Second Language, or blah blah blah and I just don't know. I have no idea what grade I want to teach. For some reason, whenever I say "I want to be a teacher" someone always has to give their sage advice, and this is the advice I've gotten from someone my age: "Don't be an elementary school teacher. You'll hate your life. My dad worked at an elementary school and hated it." I just don't understand this. Even if everything else sucked, shouldn't it still be okay if you're doing what you love, which is teaching children? Like everyone talks about "the government" and "curriculum requirements" and "the board of ed" when they talk about the problems with teaching, but I feel like there are problems with every job and if you love the job enough, you see past the negativities. Most of the teachers I've had have seemed to really enjoy their jobs. So I don't know where all of this "You'll hate your life" stuff is coming from, and I don't know who to believe. It's just one big I DON'T KNOW and that makes me very anxious. Plus, even if I do get good advice from someone, it's still just their opinion. It could be totally different for me, but I don't know what I like or what I'm good at because I've never taught before. Gah. I worry too much. I should take my own advice and go listen to some Bob Marley.

*satisfaction not guaranteed

Day 216 Song Recommendation: "The Middle" by Jimmy Eat World. I was about to pick a different music video for this song because although this was the "official" one, pretty much everyone in the video was not adequately clothed, and I figure that this is a fairly modest blog and who really needs to see that? But then the ending kind of made me go, "Okay, it has a good message, just put it in, SE." It shows that just because a whole crap load of people are doing it does not make it any less stupid at ALL and if you feel, in your heart of hearts, that it's stupid, well then it probably is and you most definitely should not do it. Just saying. "Hey, don't write yourself off yet/ It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on/Just do your best, do everything you can/And don't you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say".

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts