Spring Cleaning

     Today I did some spring cleaning. I know that's weird, since it's Christmas Day and all, but I just felt like I needed to get rid of some of my junk.  I threw out a lot of stuff, recycled a lot of stuff, and put a lot of stuff on the GoodWill pile. For example, I had an entire trash bag full of clothes hangers sitting on my closet floor. Now, who needs a trash bag full of clothes hangers?  It was just in the way, especially since my closet is eensy teensy tiny. I also got rid of things that had been buried in boxes and drawers that I hadn't needed, wanted, or used in years- key chains and shoe laces and old candle holders. Occasionally I'd stumble upon something and think "I don't really need this or want this now, but maybe I will someday..."  And then I'd make myself throw it away, because I'm terrified of becoming a hoarder like those people on the TV show "Hoarders".  The truth is, it feels good to purge yourself of things.  It's very liberating. Plus, now I have another shelf to put books on!  I was surprised by how cleaning out my room also cleaned out my mind.  I still have an excess of stuff, but at least now it's stuff I will actually use and enjoy.  I don't see the point in having things just to have things.  Things should be either useful or enjoyable.  If they're neither, get rid of it.  You'll thank yourself later.

Day Thirty-Three Song Recommendation: "Roll Away Your Stone" by Mumford & Sons. I think this song is fitting for today because it's about getting rid of the things that weigh you down.  I love it when he says "It seems that all of my bridges have been burnt, but you say that's exactly how this grace things works."  This is similar to a quote that I came across a few days ago- "All great changes are preceded by chaos."  My room was a disaster while I was getting rid of the junk.  There were piles everywhere.  But a few hours later, it looked much better than it had before I'd started.  If it hadn't looked like a disaster in between, the results wouldn't have been as satisfactory.  Chaos is vital. Sometimes...

-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts