If you're looking for a hobby...

I don't have nightmares about being kidnapped. I have nightmares about fish. Mutated fish.  Why?  Because at one point in my life I thought it'd be a fantastic idea to get a fish tank and fill it with fish.  We're not talking about a little five gallon thing. No, we're talking about a thirty gallon tank. Go big or go home, right?  Right....no.  Within a week, a fish had already died of some gross white fungus around it's mouth.  We named her Tilly and she went to Feaven.  But then I was left with fifteen more fish who were potentially contagious, so I had to medicate them with these tablets that, when they dissolved in the water, made it look like it was snowing.  All was good for a little while, and then they started dying again. I started to dread looking into my fish tank because of the very real possibility of having to flush yet another fishy.  I didn't even want to sit at my desk where my fish were.  And these fish didn't go quietly. They went slowly...flopping lifelessly to the bottom only to flutter up again, drift down, feign dead, swim back up.  Or they died in hiding and I got to discover them, moldy and rotting, when it was time to clean the tank.  And let me tell you, for all the work, they're about as interesting as a tank full of rocks.  At least rocks don't die.  After about a year and a half, I'd annihilated all but one neon tetra.  I was able to pawn it off on somebody who already had fish, and I was free!  Except every so often, I dream that I have tanks full of deformed, horrible fish, and they always either die or multiply... I don't know which is worse.  But I've taken up a new, safer hobby... house plants!  Yeah, they die occasionally, but they don't have feelings.  And you don't have to flush them down the toilet when they kick the bucket.  So take it from somebody who knows... If you're looking for a hobby, go with house plants.

Day 5 Song Recommendation: "Place For Us" by Mikky Ekko.  There wasn't a real music video for this song on YouTube, so there's nothing to watch but the album cover of "Catching Fire" for... three minutes and thirty-two seconds.  Sorry about that.  It's a good song though.  Catchy chorus.


-SE Wagner

Comments

Popular Posts