Congrats Lexie

Yesterday was a really great day.
First I had gone to the doctor and he was very happy. My blood pressure hasn't really gone down and my iron is still really low but I am almost not pre-diabetic anymore there were a bunch of science things that I don't really know that went down but my doctor was happy about it. My doctor didn't think that I was going to try to lose weight because "I don't listen to anyone." I couldn't be angry because that's mostly true. I'm sure he meets a lot of people who don't do anything about their bad health which is kind of sad. I almost started crying in that room. If you don't know me very well I probably won't get very excited in front of you. Everyone around me was thrilled and they were showing it. Trust me I was screaming and jumping up and down on the inside. My doctor told me to go buy a new book on Amazon.
He knows me to well.
I have been extremely blessed to have the people in my life who have helped me get this far. It's only the beginning and I know I have a lot more days and pounds to go but I know I can do it.
Also my cousin Lexie graduated yesterday, becoming a doctor. To say that we're a little proud is an understatement.
If you know anything about my family it's that we're 'goofy'. We may be goofy but we have a lot of love to give. At least that's what my one friend told me when she met them. Come have dinner with us and you'll agree. I doubt you would think that any of us would be doctors. Yet Lexie is the most intelligent and smart out of all of us but at the same time she's just as goofy as us.

The ceremony wasn't as long as a normal graduation because there were only like 80 people graduating but as I saw that the 'distinguished speaker." was Patrick Downes. I had no clue who that was so like anyone I googled him. Turns out he's a Boston bombing survivor. His wife, Jessica was there to, who was also in the bombing. He didn't really remember anything about the bombing but Jessica did. She remembers them both being flown in the air falling into a pool of blood. She remembers Patrick saying to the EMT "That's my wife." and "We'll figure this out."
He talked about their struggles with losing one of his legs and Jessica also losing one of hers. He talked about how grateful he was
to his physical therapist who was also there. How he and Jessica had to make the decision to amputate Jessica's other leg because it hurt to much to walk on it and it seemed like the only reasonable thing to do. I have never been in a crowd who listened so intently to a speaker. I think we all had tears in our eyes at the end and gave him a standing ovation.
Then came the ceremony. Of course we all cried. Turns out Lexie had the highest GPA out of all of the doctors there and of course we screamed. We're also not quiet. Lexie worked so hard to get to where she is at today. She told us the stories about what she had to do and I would not want to do any of those things. Now she's moving away from us and having a job which is insane. Now my cousin Jaclyn and I are all they are going to talk about because we are next to go to college.
I think what i'm trying to get at in this post is that we all go through trials. Some seem impossible whether that be trying to walk with a prosthetic or trying to pass a test that will tell you, you are a doctor or not or just trying to lose weight. All are difficult for different reasons but at the end of the day if you have faith, determination and a support system you can do anything.
Congrats Lexie.
DFTBA
-AB

Comments

  1. I loved everything about this post! And keep up the awesome work! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts